Chapter 5: Death's Dreams

I continued the next few days following a similar schedule. I would stay awake all night and spend the day alone in my room. The only people I would talk to were Jarvis and occasionally Wanda. She seemed to be slightly afraid of me though. On this particular night I was feeling especially tired. I reached up on my toes to grab a coffee mug.

"What are you doing?"

The voice startled me so much I dropped the cup. I turned to see Loki standing in the kitchen looking at me with interest.

"Well, I was making coffee." I bent down to pick up the pieces of glass.

"Here, let me." He said and with the wave of his hand the cup was back to its former glory.

"Umm, thanks." I said awkwardly and grabbed the mug. I felt his eyes watching me as I made myself a cup of coffee.

"Can I help you?" I asked.

"What? No apology for my injury?"

"You're almost healed!"

"You stabbed me!"

"You stabbed me first!"

He groaned and rolled his eyes. "Fair enough."

"Okay then." I took a sip of the drink.

"Isn't that Midgaurdian beverage used to keep one awake?"

"Yes..."

"Than why would you drink it now? Why are you up anyways?"

"So many questions!" I groaned.

"So few answers." Loki replied and I saw a hint of a smile playing at the corner of his lips.

"I don't sleep, okay?"

"Why not?"

"Bad dreams."

"Oh... I understand."

"You do?!"

"I still get them sometimes. You can't do as many terrible things as I did without living in regret."

"Oh." I took my cup and sat down on the couch. Without another word Loki moved to sit on the opposite end of the couch. I took another sip of the coffee. Loki stood up and took the cup from me.

"Hey!" I protested. He poured the liquid down the drain.

"You don't need that."

"But-"

"Sleep. I'll- I will wake you up if you have a nightmare."

"Since when are you nice?"

"Don't make me regret this." He threatened, "And I won't try to stab you in your sleep if that's what your afraid of."

"Fine." I said and rolled over on my side. I closed my eyes and relaxed. I hadn't even realized how tense I was. For whatever reason I believed Loki. I took a deep breath and gave into the darkness.

I was standing in a dark hallway. There was a light coming from under the door at the end of the hallway. I heard voices coming from it.
"Sara!" They called. I felt my eyes tear up.
"Sara!" Ryan called.
Suddenly I was back in my cell. A six year old boy looked up at my thirteen year old self.
"Sara!" Ryan cried out, "I'm scared!"
The room shook and other kids in cells cried out.
"It's okay Ryan. It's the good guys! You're safe now."
SHIELD was bombing the Hydra base, but surely they wouldn't bomb the prison.
"Good guys?"
"Yes!"
"Okay... umm, Sara, can I hold your hand?"
I reached through the bars and held his tiny hand in mine. The room shook again, harder this time.
"Sara!" Some of the little kids cried out. And then everything went black. I was laying in the rubble and a HYDRA agent found me.
"What-what's going on?"
"Hey! I found her!" He called.
"What- RYAN!"
I dug through the rubble and felt hands tugging me away.
"No!" I screamed and went back to digging. I saw his face. He was gone.
"NO!" I screamed. And touched his face. Memories of his life flashed by. I wasn't there for him. Not when it really mattered. I could have saved him. I could have at least taken away the pain.
"Get up death girl!" The solider snapped.
Visions of all the other kids on the unit, Mr. Joe, my foster families, and Ryan flashed before me. I screamed at the top of my lungs.

"Death! Death, wake up!"

I bolted up to find myself on the couch at the Avengers tower. Loki was kneeling next to me looking concerned.

"Death?"

I stood up and stormed off to my room. I couldn't deal with him right now. I couldn't deal with anyone. I slammed my door closed.

"Jarvis, lock the door."

"But miss-"

"Please!"

"Yes."

The lock on the door clicked and I fell down to my knees, sobbing. It wasn't fair. Why should I live while so many others died? Why should I have to live forever with this-this curse?! I cried for the rest of the night and came out of my room in the morning.

"Woah, what happened to you?" Tony asked, "You look like Death. Get it?"

"Ha. Ha. Very funny."

"No, but seriously, are you okay?" He asked, concerned.

"I'm fine." I'm lying.

He looked into my eyes for a minute before nodding his head.

"Okay, pancakes for breakfast, you cool with that?"

"Sure."

It seems like he has forgiven me for becoming "friends" with Jarvis. I sat down next to Wand and she looked at me uncertainly the way she always did. I ignored her and ate my pancake. When Loki entered the room I tended up. I could feel his eyes on me. Eventually I got fed up with it.

"Something wrong, Rudolph?"

"Nothing, you pathetic little mortal." He snapped. Back to himself. Great. Loki sat down on the other side of Wanda.

"Today we have your first mission." A voice announced and I turned to see Captain Fury (cause he's a pirate) standing in the doorway.

"You will be breaking into an abandoned Hydra facility to recover stolen weapons. All should go fairly smoothly. Understood?"

"Yes sir." Steve said.

"Death."

"Yes?"

"You'll be going with them. Keep a close eye on her."

"Okay." Steve said.

"Suit up."

And with that the director left the room.

"Dun dun daaaaaaaaaaa!"

All eyes turned on me.

"What? It was a dramatic moment!"

Some of them grumbled while other shook their heads. I could have sworn I saw Loki smirk, but when I looked back he was facing the other way. Huh.