"I thought you didn't like it."

"This isn't you." He said the same thing that I was feeling. This wasn't me.

"I want Rose, my sweet, innocent, and jealous wife..."

"I'm not jealous!" I protested.

"You'll wear this again but only in the bedroom. I'm developing a fantasy here." Slowly, Evan's hand came up to my hair and he freed my hair from the bun.

"And I like your hair down." He caressed my hair lovingly.

"And your lips..." Evan pulled me onto his lap making me land directly on top of his. . . I felt it. He was hard and I mentally cheered in a female triumph. I had the power to make him like that. He didn't give me time to celebrate my little victory because his lips captured mine. We kissed passionately until I felt weak in my limbs.

Breathlessly we pulled away and I rested my forehead against him, closing my eyes. Evan's kisses were like fire, burning me, consuming me and I was like a moth drawn to the flames.

Our peaceful moment came to an end with a knock on the door. I immediately stood up from his lap afraid that someone might see us being so intimate and straightened my hair.

"Come in." He replied loud enough for the other person to hear.

Claire walked in carrying a package. She saw me and her eyes widened slightly. Then she smiled without looking at me.

"Mr. Carter, a representative of our foreign clients asks me to deliver this to you." She said handing over a package. I saw a smirk forming on her lips.

"What's so funny?" Evan asked in his cold hard voice. Immediately, her smile disappeared.

"There's lipstick on your mouth." She pointed and bit her lips to stop herself from smiling.

My head snapped to look at Evan only to confirm Claire's comment. While I was mortified about the entire situation, Evan leisurely wiped his mouth with a paper towel. I brought my fingers to my lips to wipe off the smudged lipstick from my mouth.

Claire blew me a subtle kiss as she left. I knew I wasn't going to hear the end of it from her. I was in deep trouble.

"See what you made me do, my naughty wife." Evan winked in my direction.

"She's going to think we're having an affair. She already has a suspicion." There was no way I could salvage the damage.

"Good." He replied to my disappointment.

Help me, Jesus!

***

I managed to avoid running into Claire for the rest of the day. I couldn't imagine the grilling questions she had ready for me. I waited on the curb for Harry to bring the car around.

"Rosaline!" I stopped in my tracks hearing my full name being called. There was only one person who called me by my full name.

"Hey! You look gorgeous today." Mark closed the distance between us with fast strides.

"Thank you." I smiled.

"Let's grab a coffee."

"Mark, I don't think that's a good idea. I'm going home." I hated that I had to turn him down. So far, he had asked me twice after the first time we went for coffee, and every time I refused making different excuses. I hated that he wouldn't simply take no for an answer. But I couldn't go with him. I didn't want any trouble.

"Come on. It's just coffee. I have to be somewhere else too. It'll be quick. I'll get you home soon."

"I'm sorry."

"Is it because of last time? Look, I won't mess up this time. It's just coffee, okay? I want us to be friends." I was about to speak when he added, "Not unless you want something more. I'm up for it too." And winked in my direction.

"She said no. Move on." We both turned to look at an angry Evan.

"Stay out of it, Evan," Mark replied with the same cold expression.

"Go home, Rose."

"You can't tell her what to do. Mind your fucking business dude." Mark shot back. Both men stared at each other with a killer look on their faces. I wondered if there was any history between them for this animosity. As far as I knew, they were friends.

"Did you not hear what I said, Rose?" I immediately turned on my heels but was worried for both of them.

I was not worth fighting for.

Mark's hand shot up to grab mine. My gaze went to my husband. His eyes were burning holes through our joined hands. Within three long strides, he was near us grabbing Mark by his collar and slamming him against the side of the building. I was thankful that the area was empty. No one was here to watch the scene unfold. But that also meant no one would come to resolve their fight.

"Evan, please stop it. Let him go." I pleaded with him. But I knew he wasn't going to listen to me.

"Stay out of it Rose." He muttered.

"You fucking bastard! Who do you think you are? You can't control our lives." Mark's face was red with anger. He tried to fight off Evan's strong grip but failed.

"Evan, leave him. You are choking him." I said again, trying to pull his arms.

"Stay the fuck away Rose. I don't want to hurt you. Harry, take her away." Evan yelled. Within seconds he emerged from somewhere and urged me away from there.

For a moment Evan's attention was on me. Taking that as an opportunity, Mark threw a punch to Evan's face. Evan stumbled back with the blow.

"Evan!" A cry erupted from my throat.

"Miss, let's go." Harry forcefully tugged me away from the fighting men straight to the car and made me sit inside.

"Do something, Harry. They're still fighting." I turned to look back only to find their figures getting smaller and smaller as the car sped forward.

"They'll be fine, Miss Jacob."

***

Two hours had passed since I was forcefully dragged away from the fighting men. Evan had neither returned home nor answered my calls. I was so worried for him. I tried calling his driver, but he wasn't answering either.

Suddenly I heard some noise outside and then I saw Mark entering the house with the lifeless body of Evan on his side. My heart dropped but when I noticed there wasn't any blood on him, I was relieved. As they approached closer, I saw Evan was only heavily drunk.

"You beat me and then I have to carry your drunk ass back home and what a surprise, you move into a new house and never mention it to me. If it weren't for your driver, I wouldn't ever know that you lived here." Mark muttered to a drunk Evan, clueless of my presence.

He dumped Evan on the couch and Evan groaned drunkenly. "Now fuck off. I need to sleep. I'm tired of beating you." Evan replied with his eyes closed.

And then Mark's eyes landed on me standing in the corner of the living room.

"Well fuck, if this isn't a surprise."

Vote
Comment
& Share