Chapter 3: A Day of Freedom

A veiled sun filtered through the windows at Caerloch Castle in the Scottish Highlands, the daylight glimmering silver on the weapons hanging on the walls. Outside the Great Hall's doors, servants could be heard walking back and forth, sometimes greeting each other, but the sound was dim within where Lady Nuith and Lord Erland sat with Nuith's half-brother, Drummond. 

 "Now that spring has come again, what is your plan?" Lady Nuith asked wearily. 

Drummond sipped from his cup of imported wine. "I wish to take a band of thirty men to Caerdun." 

Lord Erland lifted a dark eyebrow. "That is a far distance for this soon in the year. That's McCladden territory."

"I ken." Drummond swore softly in Gàidhlig before continuing in Danish. "But where else could they be hiding her? We searched all the other castles and strongholds in the Lowlands during the last year. Unless she truly died like they swore she did, she must be hiding somewhere. And the Highland chiefs had nothing to do wi' the uprising." 

"She is very much alive," Nuith commented bitterly. "I would know if that child were dead."

Neither of the other two replied to that. 

"But why had you not checked it before? Surely it would be the most secure place to hide her," Erland pressed. 

"Simply because of the fact it is too obvious. That is the strongest, most defensible place in McCladden territory, and where—so they said in An Dùn—the McCladdens returned after the treaty was made. We searched all other places in the lower Lowlands, and surely they would not keep her so close to their Saxon enemies in the south. Therefore, she must be hiding in Caerdun." Drummond set his empty cup on the table and gestured for the manservant waiting in the shadows to refill it. "I am also thinking that Donald and his sons are hiding there, and possibly a few other chieftains who hae been missing. If anything, I might find some clue as to where they are, if they be no' there."

"Will they not consider it a threat, to approach such a place with that many men? It has been a thin peace since you searched last summer." Erland did not seem convinced. 

"Threat or not, we must have her," Nuith snapped, weariness now fled from her voice. She could hear the words of past failure in her mind. "Drummond did not keep his promise, and neither did the Scots when forced to surrender. We demanded proof of her death in the treaty, but they denied us with some flimsy excuse. As long as she lives, we will never be safe from future uprisings. And our sweet Henrik deserves to live a life without fear, unlike the life we have had to endure for far too long." She turned to her husband with pleading eyes. "Is it not worth it for him?"

Erland wisely said nothing, nodding his head instead. 

"I know I failed where McCladden and the princess were concerned," Drummond said at last. "But I at least killed Rhiada like I should hae done years ago. I will take care no' to incite a rebellion, but I will no' hesitate to use force when necessary." Looking directly at his sister, he added, "It is clear that to go softly allows them time to plan against us. If I hae the chance, I will kill her myself and nae risk another escape attempt." He rose to his feet and drank the last of the wine. "I will leave by next morn." 

"Not sooner?" Nuith asked, disappointment in her voice. 

"I need time to gather men and horses. It is a long ride, a two—perhaps three—day journey depending on how badly the melting snows have swollen the rivers. We will need supplies to last us; the land offers little so soon in spring and we will hae nae time to hunt. Are ye satisfied wi' this?"

Nuith nodded sullenly. "Take care," she said, her skirt rustling as she stood. "I have few men I can trust, and I cannot risk sending out my personal guard for a task that should have been done long ago."