C H A P T E R 1

Intriguing Cover by _VictorNnadi [Instagram @mirageexperience]

 •   •   •

       A Tale of Platinum Spells | TOPS
      " Technology is simply modern day magic. "

~Louis Anderson

  •   •   •

  PROLOGUE:

The air was now clear and they could see the xakan creature. He stood tall for about eight feet, with three spikes protruding from both shoulders of his cloak. His cloak almost touched the ground, covering all the parts of his body except for the heart region, which had a transparent green glow, enclosing a black crystal within the space. He had a striking resemblance to Master Khafi, except for his sparkling green eyes and gloveless, five-fingered, wrinkled palm.

"Scary much?" Fauna said in whispers. She shifted side to side on her toes while crouched down like an animal. "We're screwed this time!"

"Just grab your weapons. It's about to get feisty!" Max shifted towards Louis, trying not to make any flimsy move.

"There are three things involved. Fight, stay alive and retreat if we're surrounded. We can't afford to die now, Got it?" Louis instructed. The others nodded. He took a bold step forward to face the xakan, even though deep down, his mind was screaming at him to flee, to run ten times faster than his legs could move.  "What do you want from us?! What are you? " He pointed his five feet spear at the intruder. It advanced towards him, causing him to take a few steps back. "Don't come any closer. I warn you!"

The creature laughed loudly, one of seemingly of mockery. "You dare question me? I am your worst nightmare, Veka, the great hunter of old. While I have slept for years, I have been dreaming of the moment I'll rip your heads off your brittle necks."

Louis gulped at the harshness of his words.

"Lord Zaherre would be most displeased by your presence if he were alive. I must fulfil his wishes. Do thou not fear to dare seek the scrolls? " He roared an evil laughter, while he took more steps closer to them, stomping hard enough to cause a mild quake.

"You're one of them then? How disgraceful to betray your own race for power!" Louise screamed. His jugular veins protruded, portraying a slight feat of annoyance. He recalled the history they had been told by the keeper. "The goddess shouldn't have made your kind. You are a mistake to— "

"Silence!!" Veka's voice thundered through the air as he struck Louis with a lightening bolt causing him to fall to the ground, plunging back for about twenty metres. Veka was running out of patience. His mission was to kill and destroy the xakmans. They were destined to arrive one day, so were they doomed to awaken Veka, the supposed designer of their demise. He was as ageless as the sun, asleep for ages.

The others ran forward to attack, but Louis stretched his hand out, signalling for them to halt. He stood up, barely recovering from the hit.

"What's it going to be? Do you fight against your own, or are you not born of magic, and are you not a creation of the great goddess Ardinia? " Louis quivered.  The hit was intense. His hands were shaky and his feet wobbly. He pointed his spear at the intruder.  Veka had barely begun to end them. Louis believed he could call Veka out of his act, presuming he was under Zaherre's spell.