Thirteen

Angel

I watched as Drew awkwardly sat next to my father at the dinner table. The two were locked in a staring contest that was really uncomfortable to watch. Drew looked super intimidated and my father just looked downright scary. His bushy eyebrows seemed to completely block off his eyes, making his glare that much more deadly. Drew was noticably sweating.

"I don't like his long hair, Nicole." My father said in Russian to my mother.

"Dima, you're just jealous." She responded in Russian as well while rubbed by my fathers bald head. Her tinkling laugh warmed my heart and mixed beautifully with my little sister's, who laughed at what my mother said. My father rubbed his head self consciously and frowned sadly. Drew gave me a questioning looked as my family interacted with each other in Russian, which was a common thing in our family. Especially seeing how my father's English wasn't that great.

"It's nothing Drew," I laughed lightly. "My father just loves your hair."

My father narrowed his eyes at me as my mom and Daija snickered. He then returned his glare to Drew who was trying to watch my dad and eat his food at the same time as if he were scared that my dad would snatch it right out of his mouth.

I smiled as I watched my dad. He was playing all tough now, but I know he was just glad that I'd finally brought someone home. He was scared that I'd go into a depression, so the fact that I'd actually reached out to people was a big deal to him. He was proud of me and I was proud of me too.

We finished dinner and Drew and I headed up to my room. I walked in and sat on my bed. Drew walked in after me and looked around slowly. He stared at the many pictures of Daija and I taped onto my vanity mirror then walked to me. He dropped onto the bed next to me, so I turned to face him. He slowly lifted his hands to my face and sunk his fingers deep into my curls. I sighed. The feel of someone's fingers rubbing on my scalp was like heaven. My spine tingled and my body bristled at how wonderful it felt. My eyes fell shut and I leaned into his fingers.

"You're really beautiful Angel," he whispered. "Like a tiny cocoa moon goddess."

A bashful smile fell onto my lips and caused my cheeks to tint. Things seemed to be falling into place, but way to quickly. I was completely blindsided. From not having anyone want to look at me to having not one, but two boys confessing their love to me.

"I want to kiss you," he whispered as he slowly caressed my cheek. "I want to just have you all to myself and no one else."

I leaned into his hand and sighed contently. I could feel myself falling for him. "Then kiss me."

Less than a millisecond later his lips were on mine. They were smooth and velvety as they tumbled over mine clumsily, but melted every fiber that seem to hold me together. His hand fell from my cheek and traveled down my neck and rested on my shoulder. I started to fidget as his hand roamed. It was scaring me and ruining the moment for me.

"I'm sorry, Drew," I whispered as I broke from the kiss. "I'm not ready to go anywhere beyond kisses and your roaming hands keep reminding me of...that day. I need a break."

Drew nodded and sat back away from me. His eyes looked sad as his shoulders slumped. Defeat sat heavily on his face. "I'm sorry, Angel. I won't do it again."

I nodded and looked past him out of my window, only to see Kaden staring angrily back.