"To hide. To spy. To see from a different eye!"

In a poof of smoke, the world was much larger than before.

Standing on two legs was hard. Looking over her appearance, her fur was a silver sheen and every limb was pinkish, even the tail. Her teeth were now meant for feed and plants.

"It works..." Luna notes, speaking to only herself.

Suddenly, she heard shifting of grass. A long black tail weaved through the garden. Claws grate the earth. Turning around and looking down from the log, Luna saw the flattened ears and sharpened teeth.

"Oh...Oh no..."

Rufus leaps up to catch Luna for a snack. But he never had a chance.

"TO WALK AND TALK! TO BE NORMAL, NOT STALK!"

In another poof of smoke, Luna returned to normal, now holding Rufus in her arms.

Luna panted, "Never. Again."

Suddenly, Rufus' ears perked up as his gaze turned to the darkness of the forbidden forest ahead, separated from the garden by a bush of roses.

Being a cat, Rufus leapt from Luna's arms and into the bushes. Luna's heart stopped.

"No! Rufus! Come back! That is the-"

But Rufus was gone.

Luna stood up and dashed to the border, her heart pounded and her eyes wide in terror.

The shadows loomed over her, making fear swirl in Luna's soul. Her mother had told her stories of this place, and yet there she was, standing at the border. The border of darkness.

Rufus wouldn't survive an hour in this place and Luna knew it.

"My mum is going to kill me..." Luna whined. Now losing all her composure. A rarity for her.

So, what was she to do? Let Rufus die without even trying or die saving her mother's trusted companion? Was it worth it?

Luna took one step, allowing the shadows to fall over her. 

And she never looked back.

***

In an instant, the wind became sour and chilling, the trees creaked and the crows let out a cry of war perhaps. Luna glanced around nervously, never daring to let anything over take her.

She never strayed from the path, as her mother had once warned her. Despite the scratching branches of the black trees, and the squeaking swarm of bats, and the howling of wolves mixed the bitter wind.

Thorns littered the path as she stepped through the path, black and cold and dead. Just like the surrounding grey leaves and bushes.

Even the sky grew black.

"Rufus! H-Here kitty kitty kitty!" she called out, her voice echoing for a long while.

It seemed like hours. Every tree, every path, every stone, every thorn looked the same. It did not take long for Luna to get lost, even with a light charm from her palms.

But Luna meekly moved onward, her voice weakened as she called out louder and louder.

"R-Rufus! C-Come on, mum is waiting for us-"

Slowly but surely, a silver mist fell before her eyes. So cold and dead, it could very well steal your breath away. Luna drew her hands closer and allowed her hands to glow like a warm orange ember.

As Luna was surveying the area, something felt her feet, fur.

Through the thick mist, Luna could see the defining feature of fluffy ears and weaving tail now still. And dull green eyes.