III

Edit 1: 26/08/2018
Edit 2: 25/02/2023

4th December 2020, 08:28
My eyes wondered over to the ancient grandfather clock that sat in the opposite corner of the coffee shop.

Eight, twenty eight.

I only have two minutes to drink the rest of my coffee.

"Uh, okay? Don't entirely know what you mean by that..." Sage muttered as he still tried to decipher what I had said. Meanwhile, I was quickly gulping down my coffee.

"Woah! Slow down there, you might choke!" Sage gasped as he watched me swallow the last sip of coffee.

"I'm terribly sorry, but I must leave now. Thanks for sitting with me... I guess?" I half asked Sage as I stood up with my mug.

"Oh, okay. See you tomorrow?" Sage queried as I simply shrugged.

Quickly walking over to the counter, I placed my cup on its surface and smiled at the waitress.
I liked that waitress, she always gave me my coffee half price, which really helps being a university student.

The coffee shop door closed behind me with a soft clank, if that's even possible, and I was exposed to the harsh winter air. I turned to my left and started walking, past the coffee shop window where Sage sat looking very startled and confused. Who could blame him? I was walking the opposite direction of the university.

Slowly, I trudged my way through the snow, treading carefully so I don't slip and hurt my backside. Why haven't they gritted the pavement yet?

My pace quickened as I saw a petit florist shop came into my view. It really felt like a movie because the light, morning sun, was shining down on my destination, bathing the shop in a certain golden glow.

Jogging the last few steps to the glass door of the florist, I pushed it open, a low 'ding' resonated around the cubic room, catching the attention of the shop owner. The florist looked up from her phone, startled by my sudden presence.

Obviously she was not expecting a customer so early in the morning.

Nodding my head slightly, I sauntered over to a shelf where bouquets of red and white roses were displayed. Scanning every bouquet to find the perfect bunch of red roses, not ones where the roses were already in full bloom, but roses that were opening up, a bouquet at the back caught my eye. A bunch of fifty blooming roses for thirty four pounds, ninety nine pence. Expensive, but worth it.

Gracefully, I reached for the bouquet and pulled it out from it's plastic vase and carefully carried it to the shop counter.

"Had an argument with your boyfriend?" The worker joked while winking at me, making a wild assumption.

"No, they're not for him," I casually replied, going along with the shop assistant.

"Good, 'cause I don't think he'd appreciate flowers as an apology gift," She humoured, a large grin appearing on her face.

"Any man should damn well appreciate what ever he is given by his significant other. If he is not, then he is not worth your time or money since he can't appreciate a simple act of consideration," I simply replied, shrugging my shoulders.

"You right, you right. Maybe I should tell my boyfriend that..." she said, trailing off at the end of her sentence.

"You should. I've not seen you here before. Are you new?" I asked the worker. I'm not a regular in this florist, but I've purchased enough flowers to know all the employees that work and have worked in this shop.

"Kinda, I started a few weeks ago," the worker replied, glancing at the till. "That'll be thirty four pounds, ninety nine pence please," the young woman requested, smiling at me. Her teeth were perfect and white, all in a straight row. Thinking about it, everything about this lady seemed perfect.

She had light, brown hair, pulled back into a high ponytail, not one strand of hair out of place. Her skin was smooth and fare, not a single blemish on her face. Her eyes were large and were the darkest green shade I had ever seen, with thick, long lashes lining her eyes. Oh how I envy her.

"Thank you for purchasing a bouquet from us. Here's your receipt," the young woman said in her sweet voice after I had successfully payed. I took the receipt from her hand, sparing a small nod at her.

Picking up the roses, I swiftly left the florist shop. I hope I have enough roses. Walking back down the street I came from and past the coffee shop window, quickly glancing in to see whether Sage was still there, but he was not.

I carried on trudging my way down the street, listening to each crunch that was made from my heavy boots hitting the snow. There were distant sirens ringing far away, rushing to get to that injured victim, that run away thief, or a house that caught fire from a gas cooker left burning. The world has turned dark.

Finally, I reached my destination. Shuffling my way up to the big iron gates, I stepped over the threshold.

"It's been three months already?" The keeper of the land asked me. I come here every three months with a bouquet of fifty red roses in my left hand. He's worked here for who knows how long. Longer than I have kept my tradition up, so he recognised me easily enough.

"It has." I replied, looking up at the old man who had a small smile etched on his face.

He was a nice man, any grandchild would be lucky to have him as a grandad. He seemed like he would spoil them nonstop with sweets and toys.

Sometimes I find myself having a nice little chat with him in the summer and spring, when it's warm enough to stand outside and talk, but today it was far too chilly.

"Time flies," He murmured with a small chuckle. His grey eyes drifted down to the bouquet of red roses in my hand. "I wont hold you back. Off you go young lass," the man uttered with a sad smile this time.

Sparing him a small nod as he returned my gesture, I stepped deeper into the church's cemetery.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~¥~•~•~•~•~•~•~
If there are any spelling, grammar or punctuation mistakes, then please point it out to me so I can change it. It's really hard to spot your own mistakes, especially after you've just written it 'cause your brain doesn't let you notice them 😒.

Thanks if you're still reading this!
*:.. o(▽≦)o ..:*