Chapter 1: Curiosity Killed The Cat

"Time's up! Please save your final exam and submit it to me by email

     "Time's up! Please save your final exam and submit it to me by email."

Through out the large classroom were rows of students behind computers typing away final lines of code before saving their work. For their final exam, they were required to write a program that used proper algorithms and demonstrated their knowledge in debugging in a three hour time limit.

In the middle section, a man with short wavy black hair cursed under his breathe. His program worked smoothly except for whenever he tried to close the program, the computer would crash. Unable to rewrite all his text, he gave up and accepted that fact that he was going to fail his senior year of college.

He had been struggling all year with this class, 'Programming in the Real World'. The professor that taught the class did not help either. He went by the name, Professor Willow and was beloved by all the students at Georgetown University.
The elder held up against the test of time very well for the old age of 59. His face showed signs of aging by the minor wrinkles on his forehead and cheeks. He had a full head of hair for his age, even though it was gray. Hazel eyes hid behind slim glasses that had a modern design.

His laid back personality drew people to him and made others feel comfortable in his classroom. He cracked jokes with his students but always kept his professional and personal life separate.

Though his teaching methods were spectacular, the professor assigned extremely difficult assignments for his students to complete. Professor Willow was the only thing that stood between him and his bachelor's degree in Computer Science.

The student dreaded the thought of taking summer courses. He rubbed his exhausted eyes and felt stubbles of his beard growing back. The man saved his unfinished program as 'EvanHatchFinalProgram.exe' and sent it to his professor.

One by one, Evan's classmates submitted their exams and left. Most with gloom looks on their faces after dealing with another one of Professor Willow's tasks. Evan walked fast passed his professor, normally he would have enjoyed making small talk with him but was not in the mood. The man did not want to talk to the professor that was the cause of him repeating another year of college. His hand turned the door knob,

     "Mr. Evan!"

It was too late.

     "How did you do with your program? Everything runs well?"

The teacher smiled innocently towards his pupil. Unknowing that his kind manners were killing Evan from the inside out. The younger man lied through his teeth, returning a fake smile over to him, "Yes, Professor Willow. I think I did a good job with the exam."