Chapter 23: missed

———

He shot himself.

Everyone was stunned, utterly speechless, nobody even dared to make a move. For two hellish minutes, staring at the corpse; eyes still wide opened, flesh distorted while lying cold on the ground... was just too much to bear. The blood spilled over the floor, tracing the gaps between each tile, painting red all over the surface. Tumalsik pa ito kay Jung na nagkataong na sa malapit.

"Fucking shit!" Luckily, he was quick, it only stained his white shirt and an ample part of his lower cheek.

Lyca looked away, slightly clenching her chest. It was beating frantically, still unable to take in what just happened. Although she's a Reaper, where she handles dead people, deal with them or even talk with them in a daily basis. Hearing their thoughts of  how much they wanted to keep living, breaks her heart. She sympathised them, because if she's in their position she'd do the same. She'd beg for her life too. She used to think, life is precious and it must be treasured but now after witnessing first hand how it only took a bullet to take that precious thing called life. Lyca felt bad. After all, life isn't.

As she did that, looking away to somehow make her feel better (though it did not). Lyca stiffen as she was drawn to a familiar figure standing outside. Although, she was meters away, a lot of factors may affect her sense of distinguishing; the messy surroundings, her blurry eyes badly wanted to drop a tear and her chaotic thoughts, yet she knew and she was certain.

It was Sadako, staring roughly at her. Completely vanished before even she could step forward.

    --

"We're here," Doc Gab uttered slowly.

Napatango siya at bumaba sa kotse nito ngunit ramdam pa rin niya ang mga matang nakasunod. Sighing deep, Lyca faced Doc Gab. She gave him the warmest smile she could, but it didn't turn out the way she expected. She looked conflicted with a dull smile plastered on the face.

"A-are you okay?" Doc Gab slightly tapped her shoulders. It caught her attention and  mindlessly utter 'what'.

Studying her face for quite a second, Doc Gab spoke. "You spaced out," he pointed out.

She did.

Her mind still lingered over several thoughts like the incident earlier, Judge (about to die but he didn't— thank God but someone else did) and Sadako. Lahat iyon naglalaro sa  isipan niya. Nakakabaliw.

"Lyca," ramdam niyang may gusto pang sabihin si Doc Gab, kaya minabuti niyang manatili sa kinatatayuan para hintayin iyon. Ngunit umiling ito kaagad. "Nothing, you should rest."

Bagama't pagod ang katawan, hindi siya nakatatulog. Stayed awake for an or two, probably only got an hour of asleep, she was groggy when she woke up. Still, she got up. Wearing just plain tees, jeans and sneakers,  dumeretso siya sa kusina kung saan nagluluto na ng almusal si Lola Dhalia.