Chapter 12: the council

———

———

Souls, reaper, the town.

It was subtle in the beginning.

So subtle that she hardly noticed it. The chance given by the town. It wasn't all about refraining from going to hell nor afraid of going either, it was more than that. They weren't afraid of hell, they were actually afraid of not living. Reapers were blinded by the thought of living again, extending their life again, obsessed by the wonders of life that would vanish if death knocks on the door.

They would do anything to feel alive. That's the chance they meant.

But as things went completely out of hand. The scythe, Ravi and Betina. Things got messier, things also fallen into there right places which actually make sense as time passes. Maybe it would've been a lot better if she weren't engaged in this kind of situation, or if she weren't a Reaper in the first place.

"Hindi."

She over heard another Reaper sitting in front with the usual Grim Reaper voice— when she say the usual. Grumpy voice filled with irritation in every stress of the word almost sounded like asking for fight in every drop of the periods— this is what she meant.

"I'd rather suffer as a Reaper than dumped myself in hell."

"Hell no!" The voice was firm, tone full of conviction.

How would it be like?

Isang makasalanang kaluluwang nagdudusa sa impyerno. Isang kaluluwang nagmamakaawa habang unti-unting sinusunog ang katawan, naghahangad na sana pagkatapos noon ay maging abo na lang para matigil at matapos na. Ngunit imposible iyong mangyari, dahil pagkatapos ng sunog na iyon, katawang walang tatsa at pasa ay katawang sasabak sa panibagong apoy ng pagdudurusa. Walang katapusang pagdurusa. Gusto niya ba iyon?

But one thing's for sure, that visual notion doesn't bother her at all.

They say it's not all about the destination, what matters more is the journey. In the end, you won't be happy at your chosen place if you can't be happy on the experiences you made along the way.

And hell's just another destination. If she's destined to be in hell, well atleast she's happy about the journey she made.

Maybe what she needed was to enjoy the view along the way. Watched the scenery, appreciate the steps you made as you climb to the peak, appreciate the roads and streets as you drive to your desired place, appreciate the heavy pour of rain before the rainbow arose, appreciate the sea who gives the best reflection as you watched the sun sank down. Appreciate the journey more because it might matter more in the end.

"Reapers we're here. Common you know the drill," Miss Gwen emerged and stood in front, beside her was Miss Nora while Sir Vlad's on the wheels.

When the bus stopped, they did the so-called "drill". Line up and head count. That's it, the drill. The beautiful and gigantic entrace hall welcomed them as the curving patterns on the wall tend to appear wavy with a strong sense of motion. It's mesmerizing but that's it, she's kinda used to it.

They entered the usual hall they use every sessions. Maayos silang nakapila habang isa-isang pumapasok sa loob nang huminto ang babaeng na sa harapan niya sanhi ng paghinto rin niya sa paglalakad. Kunot-noong napatingin siya sa harapan.

There were three Reapers in black velvet cloak stood sturdy in front, sending the whole flat under a huge tension of unexplainable dark ambience. She wasn't the only one who felt it, she bets the other Reapers felt it too.

Napagtanto niyang tama siya nang agad inuutos ni Miss Gwen na yumuko. There was a hint of uneasiness and tension in every drop of her words— her trembling voice only concluded one thing,

she's scared.

"What are you waiting for? Give respect!"

Yumuko silang lahat. Ngunit sa pagyuko niya ay tila parang nanigas siya sa kaniyang kinatatayuan. Nang mahagip ng tingin niya ang pamilyar na mga mata. How would Lyca forget those bloody red orbes who almost siezed her existence? Even with a huge hood covering half of the face, Lyca knew it was her. The mysterious grin from her lips told Lyca that she's right. Betina. She's here, but she likely didn't notice her.

Hindi nagtagal ay lumagpas ang mga ito sa kanila.

"I can't believe what we just saw!" It was a woman Reaper.

"It was the Council, right? This close— can't believe it!"

"Council?" Hindi niya namalayang naisatinig niya pala iyon.

"Yes, the council!" It was the irish girl again, the one she saw when she first had her session. "Hindi mo nakita ang badge sa dibdib nila? Golden skull, the royal Council seal."

Agad siyang napatingin sa daang tinahak ng tatlong Reaper. Council? Betina?

Parte ng Council si Betina?

Without even thinking thoroughly, she stormed out. Tinahak niya ang daang dinaanan ng Council, nina Betina. Naabutan niya ang mga itong naglalakad sa malawak at tahimik na pasilyo. Maingat ang bawat pag-angat at paglapat ng paa niya sa sahig para makaiwas sa anumang ingay.

She continued tailing them, until they entered a narrow passage between two massive rocks appearing like a huge stack of wall, covered with growing vines. Upon entering, she stopped uneasy about what awaits her there.

Parang doon lang siya tinubuan ng kaba at rumihistro sa kaniya kung gaano kadelikado ang ginagawa niya. Council? For sure they won't show any mercy. Terminating her contract, seizing her existence. Lyca must expect that.

Pumihit si Lyca, handang umalis doon. Napagtanto niyang walang mabuting maidudulot ang pagsunod niya kay Betina. Mapapahamak lamang siya. Ngunit kasabay ng pagpihit niya ay ang pagkalas ng tinatago niyang sandata.

Lyca's aware that someone was behind her. Lyca felt it. The dark aura lingering in her back, the soft footsteps, and then the presence next to her. The goose bumbs too.

She'd say it was instincts. Lyca immediately sported her scythe pointing it directly to his neck. Yes, a male.

"Why are you tailing us?" He asked.

###