15. Worth Waiting For

CAMILA'S POV

3 weeks.

Seven dates.

And I was losing my fucking mind.

At the end of each date together I thought it would happen. I thought he'd invite me up to his apartment or invite himself in to mine. We were both adults for crying out loud. Adults who were obviously attracted to each other. But every time we parted ways he'd hold me close, wrapping one of his strong arms around my waist and pressing in to me. I was a mess when he got close to me, brain fuzzy and lips parted and sanity swimming. He'd lean in, kiss me softly on the cheek, so excruciatingly gentle, pulling back way too soon. I wanted to hold him to me forever and breath him in and kiss the breath from his lips.

But each time, every single fucking time, he'd pull away, and each time he'd whisper those words that I hung on for dear life.

"Until next time, love."

If this was some sort of game of wits, I was losing. But wow, was I having a great time trying to play catch up.

Tonight, I was ready. I don't think I wanted anything more than him before. And I liked getting what I wanted.

The soles of my shoes scuffed the pavement as I scuffled the short walk from my car to his door. My eyes were shifty, my hands fidgeting with my hair as I kept a weary eye out for the paps that normally plagued his life. Tonight I seemed to be in the clear, finally climbing the few steps to his door, giving a few sharp knocks.

I let myself in, knowing how well pictures of some mystery girl sitting on Shawn Mendes doorstep would go being flashed around on social media.

"Helloooo!" I sang out, heels echoing on the slick floor. "Let's get our frozen yogurt on. I'm starving."

Butterflies battered my tummy as I stood waiting, my body practically quivering in anticipation of seeing him again. I rolled my lips in my mouth, anxiously staring at the hallway he'd soon appear in.

But I heard nothing.

Frowning, I took a few more steps deeper in to his apartment.

"Shawn?" I yelled, louder this time.

A few more seconds of silence stretched on as I stood on awkwardly. I wasn't about to wander mindlessly around his flat looking for him. We weren't on that level yet. Opening my mouth, I took a deep breath, getting ready to yell louder.

"Fuck!" I heard from the depths of his apartment.

I froze, eyes widening as I waited.

"Fucking... Fuck!"

I giggled from my spot, finding humor in even those words.

Suddenly he appeared, skidding along the corner of the hallway. His long body rushed towards me, a pair of black skinny jeans. All my willpower went to my eyes, dragging them from the bulge in his boxers up to his frantic, wide eyes instead. His hair was a hot mess, basically every on his head out of place.

"Hi," he said breathlessly, stopping in front of me. His fingers fiddled with his belt, notching it shut.

"Hello," I quipped, running my eyes up the length of his body. "Nice to see you remembered me."

A smirk cracked across his face as he brought a hand to rub at his mouth.

"To be honest," he drawled, running a hand through his hair. "My nap ran a little longer than intended."