Behind the counter, a man stood with a welcoming smile. He leaned over to look at me and waved hello. "Hello, kodomo," he said.

"Hello, ojisan...!" I greeted politely, waving my little hand back. He seemed a bit surprised that I spoke Japanese and laughed. I've been getting that a lot. It's because of how I look, my parents told me.

ChiChi ordered takoyaki for him, Okaasan, and I and picked me up onto his shoulders so that I could see the food being made. With wide eyes, I watched the man make our takoyaki, with the batter and the pieces of octopus inside. And with the combination of veggies too. And more batter! All I could smell was that sizzling takoyaki.

"It looks so tasty...," I murmured in English, already feeling my mouth water.

Be careful not to drool on your father's head there, Blue.

I giggled and covered my mouth with my yukata sleeve just in case.

When the food was done, it was put in three containers, and ChiChi paid the man gratefully. He put me down and kneeled in front of me to allow me the first bite of takoyaki. I practically inhaled the little bread ball whole and my father laughed amusedly. To say the food was delicious was an understatement, and I bounced on my feet again out of excitement.

While ChiChi and Okaasan ate together on a bench (sometimes feeding each other with smiling faces), I sat next to them and kicked my legs. Carefully, I picked at my takoyaki with a toothpick and told Sam, "I wish you could eat with me."

It's alright. You should enjoy that all on your own anyway.

"Do you ever get hungry?"

Nope. I don't need to eat.

"Why?"

Well, it could be because I don't have a stomach. I'm a spirit, remember?

"But spirits get hungry. ChiChi said so. That's why we celebrate Obon, to make them happy. He even says people set tables of food in their houses for the dead. So that means they get hungry....!"

Haha, well, maybe some of them do.

Chewing on another takoyaki, I asked, "What's your favorite food?"

I don't need to eat, Ao.

"But you must have eaten before when you weren't a spirit. Did you have a favorite food?"

...I did actually.

Perking up, I chimed, "What is it??"

...Pumpkin pie.

"Oooo, I love pumpkin pie too!"

My...mom used to make it for me a lot. Pumpkin was something we grew the most.

"You grew your food? That's so cool!"

Yeah. And I liked goose too.

I stopped kicking my feet and grimaced. "Goose?"