Daejin

Daejin's Point of View.

ENTERING the dining area, I immediately slumped on the chair in frustration. I tiredly put the paper bag on the dining table.

I took a deep sigh while looking at that paper bag.

"There's someone I like."

That familiar ache hit my chest upon remembering those words that Jeonghan had said back in the convenience store.

"You're so bad, Jeonghan."

I pulled the paper bag and brought out the mini cake in there. A bitter smile formed on my lips while looking at the cake. It may be looked attractive and delicious in my eyes but I suddenly feel like losing my appetite. Probably, it's Jeonghan's fault.

I stood up and grabbed a fork from the kitchen. Afterwards, I went back to my seat. I opened again the paper bag and brought out the little candle and lighter that are remained in there.

I put the candle atop the cake then lit it. That glowing light coming from there made me smile faintly.

"Happy birthday, Daejin." I greeted bitterly then I blew the candle.

I started eating the cake while tears are urging to fall. I feel so heavy. I feel lonely and at the same time, I envy the girl whom Jeonghan was talking about.

Joely? I wonder who that girl is. She easily got Jeonghan's heart in just a short span of time while me, still tries hard for eight years already.

Yeah, I'm secretly in love with Jeonghan for eight years already. That was the time when I was still a freshman student in high school and was being bullied for having a killer father. Jeonghan was the one who took care of me and gave me company.

Jeonghan and I are childhood friends. I was six years old back then when our family moved to the neighborhood where Jeonghan's family is living in. Jeonghan was the first friend I got when I was playing in the playground—and the only friend who stayed by my side regardless of me, having a not-so-good family background.

Jeonghan is my knight in shining armor. He always defends me from those people who hurt me. It may sound cheesy but Jeonghan already got my heart. Unfortunately, he's not aware of that. I know that he doesn't feel the same and all the things that he does for me are just friendly gestures.

Tears consecutively fall from my eyes. Why did I fall for you, Jeonghan? Why did I let myself get used to being with your presence?

I only put my attention on eating the cake, taking quick bites that I almost choke.

"You should stop keeping your hopes up, Daejin." I said to myself. I may look like a crazy girl talking to herself but I used to be like this starting the time when my dad got arrested and was put in the jail.

My dad fired a gun to someone who was making fun of him while he was drunk. They were two people to be exact and are almost the same age as my dad's. They also entered the same school during their youth.

That time when they were drinking alcohol in the same place where my dad was drinking as well, it happened that they made fun of my dad being a loser, for being a jobless man. My dad got furious that he pulled out his gun from his pocket and pulled the trigger to those two men, making the place scream in horror.

My dad's face was all over the front page of the newspaper the next day. I was strayed from my circle of friends—more likely, my friends got afraid and just chose to stay away from me. It was only Jeonghan who remained.

I'm living alone in the house. My mom is in the Philippines for business purposes. She's the one who provides my needs in terms of financial matters.

I started roaming my eyes around. I feel sadder the more I see how quiet and lone the place is. I'm becoming more emotional, which I thought I've overcome already. I overcome being emotional because of Jeonghan—who—is always there in my ups and downs.

Is it maybe because I'm celebrating my birthday without Jeonghan or without him remembering this day? I'm used to celebrating my birthday with him every year, and he always remembers that.

But now, since there's Joely in his heart, he did not remember why I called him to meet me at the convenience store. I'm disappointed—and broken if I would add.

I pushed aside the cake and slumped my head on the table. I frustratingly closed my eyes. I sighed, letting myself doze off.

I WAS half-awake as I felt myself being lifted into the air, feeling a pair of arms that are holding me gently. I groggily opened my eyes slightly. My heart skipped a beat as my sight caught Jeonghan's face.

I immediately closed my eyes as I noticed that he's going to peek at my face. My whole system is now wide awake but I continue pretending as if I'm not aware that I'm being carried by him. My heart is beating wildly. Oh gosh, Jeonghan! Why do you always do this to my poor heart?

As I felt my back touching the couch, I felt him leaving me as he pulled his hands off me. I slightly opened my one eye. There, I saw his back. He's walking towards—uhm, I think the guest room? And what is he going to do there?

I closed my eyes as I saw him going out of the guest room. I can feel that he was little by little walking towards me. My heart flutters as I feel the blanket draping on my body. I feel warmed and I'm touched because of that simple gesture from Jeonghan.

The wild pound of my heartbeat paced twice as I felt his hand stroking my hair. Even so, I still pretend that I'm still sleeping. Am I obvious already? Doesn't he notice that I'm wide awake? Oh please, I hope it's not.

"Happy birthday, my one and only Daejin." He whispered.

Tell me, how can I get rid of these feelings I have towards Jeonghan?

--

Unnoticed
Chapter 2
JhovLovesYou