Chapter 2

My eyes jolt open, staring at the ceiling. It's still dark. I curl up into a ball underneath the blankets, but straighten again. I turn to my side to look at Germany, still asleep. His blonde bangs are showing. I almost like it better than when they're slicked back.

I scoot closer to him, hoping for his warmth to comfort me, whether he knows it or not. I move his arm and place it under my head. He shifts in his sleep, rolling to his side and wrapping his other arm around my torso. He comforts me unconsciously, and I wrap my arms around his upper back. I can feel my face flushing with red. I lay my head against his biceps and close my eyes so I can fall back to sleep. But before I do, I remember that Germany is generally a light sleeper. Well, 'aware' would be a better word. Wouldn't he notice that I was there, cuddling him? With that thought in my mind, I drift off to sleep.

--

Germany wakes me up the next morning. He was still asleep. I woke up from his stirring before he opened his eyes. He saw me and blushed just a little. I looked up and smiled at him, feeling the red flush my face.

"Good morning, Germany!" I exclaimed cheerfully. He looked happy for a second before he spoke.

"What the hell are you doing in mein bed?!?!" he yelled fairly loudly, standing up off the bed. A reaction I anticipated. It happens all the time.

"I wanted to be close to you!" I told him honestly. "I had a weird dream last night, but I can barely remember it..." Germany stopped for a moment and sat on the the edge of the bed.

"What was it about?" he asked rather sincerely.

"I can't remember it... the only thing I remember is... 'Holy Rome.'" Germany's pupils dilated.

"Ah, yes. I've heard of him. I never got to meet him, but Bruder told me many stories of him."

"Prussia did?"

"Ja... apparently he existed before I was born. If you want to know more about him, I think you should talk to Austria and Hungary. Bruder always gets sad when he talks about him." Germany looked forlorn. I never thought about Prussia getting sad. It seems unlike him. I got out of the bed and got dressed, Germany doing the same. He slicked his hair back, leaving a few bangs hanging down. I brushed my teeth quickly and started towards the door.

"Germany! I'm going out for a while!" I yell to him as I open the door.

"Good! I can finally get some work done." I fake a smile and walk out the door. I know he doesn't really mean what he says. But still... it hurts sometimes.

--

I took the shortest bus route to Austria's house. Grazie, Google Maps. I got off the bus and walked the rest of the way. Hungary was sweeping the front porch with her broom when she saw me. She broke into a smile.

"Oh, Italy! What brings you here?" She ran up to me, her long, wavy brown hair flowing behind her. She wore her normal green-white maid dress and headband.

"Hi, Hungary! I need to ask you and Austria something."