Chapter TWO

A spike of anxiety arose in my stomach. I was Melvin's third therapist, the previous two having committed suicide—what did that say of him. . .and my fate?

"You've been here how long?" I asked, pulling at the collar of my button-down shirt.

"Three months." That same smile. "Scared, are we, Doctor? No? Not yet?"

"What's there to be scared of?" I asked, leaning back. They usually weren't like this. More broken, maybe.

Melvin's smile fell slack, dictator-purple eyes focusing harshly on my face. "Nothing, really. Nothing at all."

"Um, yes, Melvin," I said, "you've been here a while. Do you feel any closer to recovery? Also it says here that you have. . .'murderous tendencies'? Tell me about that, please."

An expression of loving fondness for his murderous tendencies overtook Melvin's face. "Some people have boring hobbies, like hooking up to Ethernet and playing stupid, worthless, boring video games. But I'm more productive with my time, which I spend in axe, chainsaw or just good-old-fashioned sneak-attack-stab-you-with-a-knife murdering."

I raised an eyebrow, scribbling down what he said. "Of course. Anyway, how much longer do you think you'll be here?"

"I don't care." Melvin shifted in his seat, looking at the walls. "They can keep me here forever."

"You don't care? Why not?" I asked, adding my own note to his extensive stack of papers: Seems to have fully-functioning mental capabilities.

He shrugged, the bright eye on his forehead glaring at me. "As long as they keep sending me therapists, I'm entertained enough. It'll be when I stop getting to play with my toys when I'll want to get out."

"So you hold the view that people are, what, mere play-things?"

"Yes."

"Alright-y," I said, looking at my watch. Just over half-an-hour to go. Great. But Melvin had intrigued my professional senses, given that he seemed the most clear-minded insane person I'd met in my four years at this asylum.

If it weren't for yammering about murderous tendencies, not to mention the eye on his forehead (seriously, what was that?), he'd probably be ready for release in less than a month. As it was, I estimated at least another four months.

As of yet, this first was just allowing myself to be accustomed  to my patient's personality, for all it was. Blazing eyes and everything. "Melvin, do you have any friends? Have you ever had any? Tell me about them, whether they be from here or the outside.

Melvin Ishtar laughed, voice ringing harshly through the room. "I don't make any of those, Doctor. Haven't the time or need for 'em. All I have is victims and previous one-night lovers."

I grimaced. A long half-hour laid ahead of me.

So what do you think happens next? I'd love to hear!
~Seqyn