"I suppose so, but you never truly know, can you?" Bonnie said as she pulled in some things she plucked from their garden.

"How are you all on your fruits and veggies?" she asked, as Charlie helped himself to some soup, taking it into their living room.

"Oh, we're fine," Casey said. He didn't feel right taking things from people when he felt they could manage without.

"Oh, nonsense. Elena has two growing boys left in the nest, so she could always use more fruit and vegetables."

She had already started packing things up in a bag.

"Here, take this back to your mama," she insisted.

Well, Ma always said never to refuse twice or you'll offend.

"Thank you," Casey said, accepting the produce. "I'll see you all later."

"Okay, bye."

"Bye, son. Tell your mother of our thanks, you hear!" Charlie shouted from the couch.

"I will."

"Oh, and perhaps you could come by and teach Carli a thing or two about hunting? I'm sure she would love that." Bonnie added, seeing Casey out the door.

"Maybe," Casey responded.

There she goes again.

Casey grew up next to Carli practically his whole life, and she was a pretty girl, but he wasn't interested in a girlfriend at the moment and age also was a factor. Maybe in the future, but right now he was too focused on taking care of his family and making something of himself. But, Bonnie was always trying to get him together with her daughter. Elena always told him to be nice about it, so he was, but he wished his mother would have a talk with Bonnie just once.

When he got back home he saw Noah still seated, playing with his food. He smiled, something he couldn't help doing when he looked at his brother.

"He's a cutie, just like you were at his age," Elena spoke from behind Casey. "Sometimes I can't help feeling like you grew up too fast."

"Yeah, well, that's the way life goes. And we'll see if he's stays that good-looking," Casey joked.

"He will," Elena said, hugging Casey. "You all have your father's genes."

Casey winced at the mention of his father. "I think I'm gonna head to bed now, Ma. I'm not all that hungry," he said, starting toward his room.

"What? But you haven't even eaten a thing."

"I know. I'll just take something with me tomorrow. I'm heading into town. Probably won't be back until the next day." Casey said, avoiding eye contact.

"Are you sure, Casey? Bonnie bother you again or something?"

Yes.

"No," Casey said.

Even if Bonnie kept trying to get him with her daughter, she was a nice woman, and he wasn't going to blame his sudden coldness on her when it was the mention of his father.

"I just have a long day ahead of me, plus you and Noah could use the extra portion."

"We're fine, Casey. Just eat."

"G'night, Ma. I'll wake you before I leave," he stated firmly, giving his mother a kiss on her forhead before going to his room.

He spent the night thinking of his father as he layed on his bed, with his plaid navy blue blanket covering his feet as they hung over his bed. He stared up at his ceiling. It was the same as it had been all his life. The same way it was when he was seven and got his first kill out hunting. The same way it was when he was thirteen and had his first kiss. And the same way it was three years ago, before his father was taken by some mercenaries from the Eastern Region.

LeHorn hadn't known the reason for the invasion, but that didn't change the fact that five people were taken from their village that day. Four woman; one in their twenties, two in their teens, and the fourth one was the mother of a friend of his. The fifth person was Casey's father, and he was the only one to be returned. It was believed that his father must have been near the girls, or had tried to stop them from being taken. All Casey remembered was having to pry his mother from his father's mutilated body. He knew he would never forget the image of what they had done to the man that raised him.

God, you didn't even know she was pregnant with Noah.

Casey hated thinking of his father because every memory was tainted with the picture of him, murdered, with no justice.

One day, Pa. One day I will find you your peace, and maybe one day I'll see you again.

Imagining what he would do if he ever found his father's killers, Casey drifted to sleep.