Chapter 6: Sydney

When they finally reached the male dormitory, Jasper ran straight to his room, placing Sydney on his bed. Unsure of what to do, she watched as he scrambled through his dresser.

"What are you looking for?" she asked, taking in Jasper's room.

His dark grey bedsheets, his plain white walls. In all their time as friends, she'd never been here. It was against policy, and girls only snuck in for one reason. Something Sydney had never done and wasn't focused on. She had crushes before, but none of them became anything more.

"I'm looking for my keys. I haven't driven my car since we came back to campus, after winter break," he said, frustration lacing his voice.

"Jasper, you don't have to go through all this trouble for me," Sydney said, feeling guilty about what she was putting him through. "If something goes wrong and they find you helping me, they'll consider you an accomplice. I can't be the reason your future is ruined."

"Syd, drop it. You sound silly," he said, still rummaging through his things.

"No, Jasper. I'm serious. What will you do if we get caught?"

He paused, then turned to face her, exhaling a breath he must have been holding in.

"You truly must not see how much you mean to me," he said, as calmly as ever.

His blue eyes focused on her. She felt them trying to tell her something, but with everything going on, she couldn't tell what emotion they were portraying.

Loyalty? Affection? Hurt? All three?

"Syd, if you think I could live with myself if I didn't do everything possible to help you, then you really have lost your mind," he added.

Sydney fell quiet. She still had her reservations, but no more questions left her tongue. It was clear, Jasper wasn't going anywhere. That thought brought her comfort, knowing she wasn't alone, but she just hoped that he'd be okay at the end of this.

"Got 'em!" He cheered. "Let's go."

And he, once again, carried her out toward the garage.

"You know, you got me this crutch for a reason," Sydney joked.
She was trying to lighten the life or death mood hovering over them. He just smirked as they neared his car. After strapping themselves in, Jasper sped off toward his uncle's property. He lived in the countryside, but wasn't too far from the university.

As he drove, Sydney thought back to how life was, just yesterday. The three of them had spent the day down by the lake on campus. She and Jasper hadn't hesitated to jump into the water. Swimming and splashing each other without a care in the world. Liz, on the other hand, stood at the edge of the water, not too keen on hopping into "dirty water" as she put it. When Jasper gave Sydney his signature mischievous look, she knew what he was thinking.

They pretended they were tired and were taking a break, getting out the water and joining Liz where she stood. After looking to each other, they grabbed Liz and jumped back into the water, bringing her with them. She freaked out at first, but soon after she was swimming and splashing them back. Sydney enjoyed every moment they shared that day. But, it was destined to stay a memory that could never be relived.

Realizing it was the last normal and happy memory she shared with Liz, Sydney felt herself tearing up again.

"Darnit," she hissed, turning to look out the window, afraid Jasper would notice.

"We're almost there," he assured her, turning on the radio.

"...she is wanted for allegedly murdering dozens in Centre Park, including our beloved president. If anyone sees or knows of the whereabouts of Sydney Donovan, please don't hesitate-"