Chapter 42: Casey

With wide eyes, Casey couldn't take his eyes off of the two people that were now dead, impaled by spears. He blamed himself for not keeping an eye out for things like that. He was so busy talking to Reid that by the time Sydney shouted out a warning it was too late.

The first thing to draw his attention from the gruesome scene was Evan. His broken sobs peeling away at any resolve Casey had left. He had failed his people, so soon into their mission. I can't do this.

"Casey."

The familiar soft voice captured his ear as he turned to see the very serious woman that now stood in front of him.

"I messed up, Sydney," he whispered, his voice not fully there. "Bobby...Lacey...they're dead. I wasn't focused and now they're dead."

"No. No, no, no, no, no," she protested emphatically. Although her voice was hush, the tone she spoke held volumes. "Now is not the time for you to start breaking down, too."

"They are dead," he restated, as if that would make her understand his feelings.

"And if you keep this act up we all will be," she replied through gritted teeth. There was a fire in her eyes that kept Casey from arguing further. "So, please stop acting like you're ready to give up and lead these people, because we cannot stay here. The longer we do, the higher the risk of running into whoever set that up."

Daring to glance back over at the pit, Casey exhaled a deep breath and knew she was right. Looking over at the people that, for a reason he didn't know, had trusted him with their lives, he realized he couldn't stomach seeing more of them die; not even Sydney, despite how uncertain he was of her. The way she stared at him expectantly, waiting for his response...it was enough to assure him that she genuinely did want them all to survive. That was enough for now.

Clearing his throat, he whistled for everyone to gather around. When no one moved, he tried again. Still, nothing.

"Attention, now!" Sydney shouted, almost militaristic in nature.

Casey raised a brow in surprise, but reminded himself she was full of surprises lately. Still, he couldn't lie to himself about the way he found the real her even more attractive than the one he'd known. The way she was able to observe and defend, all with such confidence. Why did she have to be an easterner? When the sound of someone clearing their throat rocked Casey out of staring, he quickly noticed that everyone was now waiting for him to speak. Straightening out his back, he began to address them.

"We have to keep moving, everyone," he started saying, despite the unmotivated expressions everyone seemed to wear. "As a hunter, I know what traps signify. They signify territory, and right now we're in someone else's. If we don't move now, it won't be long before more trouble finds us."

They still seemed hesitant, which began to disappoint Casey.

We can't give up.

"Hey! Those mercenaries took our women!" he shouted, making the dispirited people's ears perk up. "And the only thing standing between us and our families is this piece of land! Now are we going to let it, and whoever thinks they own it to keep us from reuniting with them?!"

"No," some people answered, although they seemed unsure.

"Fix your attitudes!" he yelled, now getting angry. "Do you not see the two that just died for this?! And what about the parents that were killed back home!?"

When he said that, he witnessed the fire in Charlie start to burn again, and that passion began to spread into everyone until they were all singing a different tune. One person in particular stood out as the most influential crowd ringer, and that was Evan.