"I don't have any other friend. Everyone at works calls me the opportunist ice bitch."

Xenia laughed.

Sophia blinked, "what's so funny?"

Cassie, her forever rival, came to mind, "I know someone you could get along with; you two have the same persona."

"Who?"

"Never mind, so you're pregnant, you say?" Xenia brought the focus back on Sophia, who liked the attention.

"Yes, and Mark says he's not ready."

Both women rolled their eyes in unison.

"So, what do you want to do?" Xenia asked as she helped Sofia open the convertible couch.

"I love him; I swear I can't live without Mark, Xe," tears slid down Sophia's cheek.

"Eh, please don't Xe, me. We are not friends, okay," though Xenia spoke harshly, her heart broke in empathy. She knew what emotional turmoil Sophia was going through and how lost she was feeling.

The silence which crept in the room was thrown out by Xenia, "listen, Sophia, if you love Mark, hold on to him."

"What?" Sophia said in shock.

"You heard me, don't make me repeat. I don't know what you see in Mark or what I saw in him, but I'm sure if you let him go, Mark won't come back. If you love him as you say, then don't do as I did. Mark needs you to reassure him that the birth won't eliminate his life and ambitions. It's something I didn't do because I thought he was fine when he wasn't. Mark needs to feel his part of the project; now get some sleep."

"Wait, Xenia, for all it's worthㅡ."

Xenia sighed, "please, don't, Sophia."

"No," Sophia rushed to grab her hand, "for all it's worth, I'm sorry, I should have been honest with you back in college. I fancied Mark back then, and suddenly he chose you. I guess I got envious over the years."

It was too easy, one event, and Sophia begged for absolution.

"Sophia, you were not alone, okay. Mark played his part too. Anyway, it doesn't change the fact that you two are parasites, but I want to get to heaven, and I can't spend life in jail for murdering you two, so get some sleep."

"Xenia."

"What, what, Soㅡphia?" Xenia said as she made big eyes of exasperation at the woman who held her back.

"I'm sorry about the custody issue."

"God, please help me, prevent me from fetching a frying pan and killing this woman," Xenia pleaded while lifting her eyes to her hall's ceiling.

"Xenia, you are saying out loud."

"I know, so sleep with one eye open, Sophia, goodnight," with these words, Xenia dashed to her room, where she collapsed on her bed.

Sophia was pregnant; the news was barely lying in its bed in Xenia's mind.

Xenia pondered a minute and realized it didn't bother her like she always thought it would. Mark's and Sophia's engagement had knocked her out, but here the news sunk in without a struggle.

Perhaps it was because she had let go of the past. Xenia felt freed from her shackles. Though the woman owed it to herself, she knew Gregory played a considerable part. Sophia could keep Mark. Xenia had her lucky number. Xenia wondered what Gregory was doing as she dozed off.

"Xenia, Xenia, wake up. Someone is tapping on the door.

"Agh, who are you?" Xenia yelled as she woke.

"Xe, it's me, Sophia."

Xenia had forgotten about her surprise guest, "oh, eh, open; it's for you. Leave me alone."

"What if it's a serial killer, Xe?"

"Oh, please, Sophia, who has ever heard of a serial killer who knocks on doors. Now get out of my room and open the damn door."

The menacing stare Xenia gave made Sophia believe facing a killer was probably better than confronting a badly woken Xenia.

Sophia left the room and did as asked," who is it?"

"It's me, Sophia."

"Me who?"

"Come on, don't tell me you don't recognize my voice?"

"What if you're a murderer imitating the voice of someone I know?"

"Please, Sophia, it's three in the morning. I don't want to do this."

"I didn't tell you where I was, so how come you're here?"

"Xenia texted me; she told me to come and get my luggage."

"Xenia wouldn't do that."

"But I did," said a voice from behind Sophia, "now open the frigging door and get out my house," Xenia crossed her arms and cocked an eyebrow.

Sophia unlocked the door to find a puppy-faced Mark, "Sophia I'mㅡ," Mark stopped to stare a Xenia, who stood two meters behind Sophia.

Xenia shook her head and left the hallway, letting Mark pursue, "Sophia, I'm a fool, I love you, and I want to lose you, I mean the both of you," Mark said as his eyes roamed on Sophia's stomach, "I got the deal babe, we can make it work. It's justㅡ."

"I know you're scared, but you're a good father for Sia. I swear there isn't anyone else on earth with whom I desire having a baby but you. I love you, Mark."

Mark grabbed Sophia in a hug, "I love you too, babe."

The telenovela worthy scene full of fluff could give one a toothache with the sweetness. Xenia could not bear it any longer.

"Great," Xenia said from behind Sophia," here's your bag Sophia, now adios, bon vent, goodnight.

Xenia shoved Sophia out with her bag, shutting the door.

"Why did you come here?" Mark asked.

"Xenia is the only friend I have," Sophia turned back to look at the shut door. Yes, Xenia was the faithful friend who, despite everything, texted her worst enemy for Sophia's sake.

Mark didn't say a word. Instead, he picked up Sophia's bag, and they headed to the lift," eh, Sophia, did you see the accountㅡ, eh, Xenia's man."

"No, I thought I would, but no, why are you asking?"

"Eh, nothing; how are you feeling?" Mark switched the subject, thinking it was too soon to unleash the Gregory Gate.

"You know what, Xenia, made me sleep on the couch. The couch, can you believe it, babe."

"You're lucky; I imagined you on the kitchen's floor as I drove here."

"Oh, Mark, about Sia's custody, I don'tㅡ."

"I called the lawyer; it's settled."

They left the building and head to the car.

"How, why?"

"Eh, it's a long story," Mark replied as he opened the car door for Sophia to sit.

Mark went round to the driver's side.

"So, tell me, what's with the change of mind?" Sophia asked.

"I met a gardener today."