Part two / chapter eleven

It had been four and a half years since Willow and Calum began dating. Calum was touring and missing her every second he got, but her iMessages and phone calls were always there for him in times when her physical body wasn't, reminding him of how amazing he's doing and how proud she is of him. She always knew he could do it. As soon as Calum got home he was going to pop the question. He'd not stopped talking about it for the six months the boys had been away. Every second he got, Luke I'm so excited, do you think she will be? How do you think she'll react? What if she says no... no she wouldn't. Will she cry? What if I stuff up what I'm gonna say? And Luke would remind him, you've practiced your speech every fucking night for the past three months before you go to sleep, you're not going to stuff it up, and Ashton from his bunk would remind them not to swear.

Calum counted the days down every day until he got to go home to Willow. He wrote songs for her and called her every time they were both awake, and he bought her things he thought she might like, and he kept wanting to tell her he was really going to ask her this time to spend the rest of her life with him but he didn't want to ruin the surprise so he'd shut himself up and show her photos of dogs instead.

The nearer it got to him going back home to see her, the more excited he got. She promised to wait at the airport but that wasn't where he was going to ask. He was going to break through her window like he did the time as teenagers he admitted his huge crush on her, he was going to tell her he loved her and missed her and how much she means to him and his family and then he'd say something about starting their own families, mini Calum and Willow's and then hopefully she wouldn't be too scared of that, and then middle of their conversation he'd just get down on one knee and changed her life forever.

He played it out in his head over and over. The fans would ask about her and he'd get all red cheeked and giggly and the boys would hype him up on the tour bus all the time about how soon it was to going home. He called his mum and sister and had to constantly remind them he's going to be an engaged man.

Willow Hood, Michael would randomly whisper to Calum just so he'd get sweaty palms and butterflies in his stomach but then he'd start smiling and looking down and fidgeting because holy shit, she is going to be his forever.

And at one am when the boys were finally dozing off he'd just say, I'm gonna give her a happy ending and Luke would peg a pillow at his head and say, we get it, you love her.

Fuck yeah he loved her.

Slowly, the days creeped up where the tour was going to wrap up and he'd say goodbye to the stage forever but he'd move on to the next stage of his life. He wouldn't perform this time, he'd ask the woman he thought would only be so perfect in his dreams to love him forever and ever. And god damn those days couldn't come any faster.