Chapter 16

"Oh look at this one." Alex whispered to Sam.

Sam subtly looked to the left and watched the girl walk down the sidewalk. I rolled my eyes and hit both of them.

"You two are pathetic." I said.

They looked at each other and shrugged like there was nothing wrong with what they were doing. I love Sam and Alex to death, but I hate when Liam makes me go out with them. All they do is sit there and watch girls and at first it's kind of funny, but it gets tiring after a while.

"Jamie, when you have to sit here for hours with nothing to do, you have to find some way to entertain yourself. This is how we entertain ourselves." Sam said.

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, well I'm going to get something to eat. Have fun watching slutty girls."

"Will do." Alex said, waving me away.

They're sickening. It would be different if they would actually look at the decent girls, but I wasn't kidding when I told them to have fun watching slutty girls. That's all they're attracted to. I'm pretty sure Sam brought a prostitute back to our house once.

I stood at the counter, ignoring the impatient look the man waiting to take my order was giving me, trying to decide between pizza or a corn dog. Maybe I should get both and one of the boys would eat it if I don't want it.  That could work...

"Well what do you know? It's Jamie."

I froze when I heard the voice. What if he saw me with Sam and Alex? He'll blow my cover and we'll all be dead.

I slowly turned to face Chase and noticed Billy behind him. "Hey guys."

"What are you doing out? We asked Avery where you were today and he said you wanted to spend a day at home. You're not at home Jamie."

Well my brother and your sworn enemy needed me to do something else today. "When I said a day at home I meant like...a 'me' day. I just need a day to myself."

"So you aren't trying to get rid of Avery or anything...right?"

I shook my head. "No."

"Good, because we don't want any girl breaking his heart. Do you know what we would have to do if that happened Jamie?" Chase asked, taking a step closer.

I took a step back and gulped. "No."

Billy rolled his eyes. "Chase stop. You're going to scare her to the point where she'll never want to see any of us again."

"I was just kidding." Chase mumbled.

"Well she doesn't know your kidding. I'm pretty sure she's already scared of us," Billy told him. He turned to me. "You have no reason to be by the way. We're pretty harmless."

Actually I have plenty of reasons to be afraid of you. You just don't know them.

"Excuse me," the man behind the counter asked. "Do you plan on ordering something today, or should I call the next person up?"

"I'm sorry. I want two slices of pepperoni pizza and a drink."

"Make that a whole pizza and three drinks." Chase said, winking at me. "I got this."

So now I have to eat with them? Wonderful. How am I supposed to tell Sam and Alex?

"You really don't have to. I was just going to eat really fast and go back home." I told them.

"Hey, we want to get to know you a little better. Just chill with us for a while. I promise we won't tell Avery and he won't get mad that your 'me day' wasn't all about you." Billy said.

I gave a small, fake smile. "Thanks."

I stood with the boys while we waited for the pizza. Making sure they were both focused on something other than me I pulled my phone out an texted Alex. I need them to hide or leave, preferably leave. I don't want to anyone to get into anything.

Sam peeked around the corner a few minutes later and then disappeared. He's probably going to call Liam and tell him there's no way they can continue this here. It's going to be complicated to get home if they leave though.

"So," Chase asked, turning to face me. "What should we know about Jamie?"

"Uh what do you want to know?"

"Do you have any secrets?" He grinned.

More than you know. "Why would I tell you my secrets? I barely know you and they're secrets for a reason."

"Hmm, you must be hiding something pretty bad...Did you kill somebody or something."

The guy at the register tilted his head to the side showing me that he was listening to this conversation. "No, I've never killed anyone. I have given a few threats in my time, like to people that like to listen to other people's conversations. Kind of a pet peeve of mine." I glared at that side of his head and saw his get slightly pinker.

Chase smirked. "I like you."

"Thanks." I smiled.

"You know who else likes her?" Billy asked. "Avery. Now stop flirting with her."

"I'm not flirting."

"Yes you are, in the weird little way you do."

"I don't flirt. Girls just automatically fall for me and my charm is just a perk." He smirked at me.

Billy rolled his eyes. "You're flirting."

~~~

Surprisingly the pizza thing wasn't as bad as I thought it was. Once I got over the paranoia that I was going to be found out at any moment, I was actually able to have fun. Chase is obviously the crazier one of the two. He's kind of a mix between Collin and Sam. Billy is more chill and but I think it's because he's older.

"Jamie."

I looked over at the car parked beside me. "Liam? Are you actually out of the house?"

He rolled his eyes. "It's not like it never happens. Just get in the car."

"Seriously," I said as I got in. "Why are you here? Do you think this is the best idea with the possibility of someone seeing us and putting two and two together?"

He shrugged. "If someone is going to figure it out, I would rather be with you."

"Why so they can kill us both? That's stupid Liam."

"It's keeping you safe."

I sighed. "My safety isn't everything. Your life is kind of important too."

"Only to you." He sighed.

"Liam!" I yelled. "Don't say that! I'm not the only one that values your life and you know it."

He stopped at the red light and turned to face me. "That's not what I meant. I know James and Collin and the rest of the guys would protect me. I would do the same thing for them, but if none of them would die for me."

"I bet they would." I mumbled.

"Maybe James would."

"I would."

"But I'm not letting that happen."

"I'm not letting anything happen to you either Liam. You're the only family I have left. I don't care if you have to protect me."

He grinned. "You sound like mom when you talk like that."

"Sound like mom, look like dad. I got the best of both."

"That's why I have to keep you safe. You're the only family I have left too...but you're also the only reminder I have of them."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: I know that it has been forever. I told you I would need two weeks after the last post for my graduation. Well just my luck, I get sick right after. I was actually going to upload yesterday but some personal issues came up and I couldn't. If anyone is actually still reading this please vote and comment. :)