Chapter 30 - Thoughts On Losing A Love One

Start from the beginning

"Unnie! Come outside" I call her at her bedroom. As usual, she's in front of her computer playing game. She then takes off her headphone and follows me. I already set the soup at our table.

"Wow, are we celebrating something?"

"Happy new year Unnie. It's only us in the dorm, eat with me then"

"Thanks" She sit and eat the seaweed soup with a rice.

"Unnie you haven't going out lately right? What do you want to do, today?"

"Hem....I don't know"

"Do you want to see a snowfall? It's weekdays, I imagine not so many people there"

"Where?"

"Seokchon, it's near. Are you strong enough to strolling around?"

"If I give up you could just piggyback me then?"

I laugh, "Call"

We then take a shower and prepared to go to Seokchon. There won't be a pack customer in January, especially January 1st, based on my observation. I drive there. I keep smiling as I  drive there. It's winter, I could see so much thick snows. We arrive, as my expected, there are no pack visitors. It's decent. I help her to stroll around, take a big deep breath at the most beautiful park in Seoul. I collect some snows and throw at her. We are playing like a kid since it's quite. I don't care. It's 2022 we should at least celebrate this. All the scenery surrounding me is all white. It's beautiful

We then take a seat, facing the Lake. I go away for awhile to grab a coffee for me and her.

"Here's Unnie" It's caramel macchiato, her favorite. She takes a sip.

"Oh, Chaengie, you still remember?"

I nod as I sip my latte.

We then silent for a moment, looking around at this perfect moment. It's a rare chance to take a fresh air like this.

"You really love parks, don't you?" Mina Unnie ask me.

"Ah yes"

"I get it now. It calms you, It"

We then silent again.

"Chaengie"

"Yes, Unnie"

"I am not going to renew my contract"

I perfectly hear what she said. But I feel like I don't want to hear it.

"Pardon?"

"I am not going to renew my contract"

The second time, I know that she's serious. I know that I don't have a hearing problem. She wants to quit. I gulp, I don't know how to react at this moment. I am just silent. I don't want to even ask her why. To me now it feels like a block of bricks fall down on top of my head.

"A theatre in Japan wants me to be their cast. JYPE seem to ignore my request to be a musical actress as they always stalling my chance. I am so fine with being understudy first, or even a dancer or backup dancer first, I know that I can do that, but JYPE wants me to always be the main star, while I want to learn first"

"How about your college?" Really that's the first question I ask to her, instead of asking how she's feeling.

"I could transfer, or I could postpone my study, I will think about it"

She's right tho. As a big entertainment, JYPE wants us to always be the main star. It's their pride, while musical industry fills with so many talents that actually don't really care about fame. It's somehow a dead end for Mina Unnie. I want her to chase her dream even though I also want her to stay as our members.

"I will consult to JYPE first, then I will talk to Jihyo, please keep it to yourself first, and please don't tell Jeongyeonnie especially, okay Chaengie?"

"Okay, Unnie. If it's for the best, I won't stop you from chasing the dreams"

I am not a good friend, that's why she's running away from me. I could ask her to stay, I could ask her to think twice, I could ask her to not to do such things, but instead, I am just silent and letting her go.

Not long after that day, the day where Mina Unnie said that she wanted to quit. Jihyo asks me to meet her at the office. Jihyo Unnie wants to meet us privately in our one on one practice room. I enter the room and Jihyo Unnie sits on the floor already, staring at the blank space.

"Jihyo Unnie, why?"

"I just can't imagine that she will be our Jessica Sunbae" She says it without even look at me, she staring at the blank space. 

I know what she's talking about, I want to pretend that I don't know.

"Chaengie, Mina wants a way out"

I know this already Unnie, and my heart still hurt every time I think about that.

"She won't renew her contract, and somehow her reasons make sense to me. I don't know what to do"

For the first time in my life, I see Jihyo Unnie giving up.

I can't say anything. I know that Jihyo Unnie just wants to be heard.

"Chaengie! You are the one who could help me" She then turned to me holding my hands.

"Please, ask Mina to stay, please Chaeng-ah. You're one of the closest to her. Jeongyeon Unnie will be emotional when talking to her, We know her well right. Jeongyeon Unnie will end up mad at her. I don't need that right now. You're the only one who could ask her to come back"

"Unnie.......what if she's really persistent?"

"I will talk to JYPE for her. I can do that. But also please help me to make her stay"

"Please Chaengie!"

I nod to Jihyo Unnie.