17| FRACTURED CONDITION

While you're alive, you need a reason for your existence. Being unable to find one is the same as being dead.

EXPLAINING everything that happened in Beacon Hills to Hayden was like opening old wounds that had been slowly fixed. Not that it would heal entirely because Cassandra was sure that it would leave a scar forever. The entire time Hayden listened to her story punctiliously and not once in a while she was silent for a moment to filter out what the youngest Argent said was a fact or fake, how could she not? She's only been away for a few months, but that's what had happened to them all.

The hardest part for the brunette girl to open her mouth was when she came to elucidate about Brett and Lori's death. It was enough to make her almost broke down in tears. Hayden had an arduous time apprehending what she was saying, in fact she almost wanted to blame her too, but she realized Cassandra had no choice at that time. It was her way–her way to protect Liam by killing Brett and Lori.

Cassandra wouldn't lie if she said she was absolutely overwrought. The only way to defeat an army of them was with an army of equal numbers, certainly the pack couldn't help her because they were also trying to fight their own enemies. That's why Cassandra was eminently willing to travel long distances in order to get her own allies to face out her own demons.

Hayden was the first ally she wanted to recruit, not only she was in the nearest location–she also had more vitality than the youngest Argent was for now. Cassandra knew that at this point she was more concerned with her sister's safety, but the brunette girl needed her help for one night only. And after that, it was up to her if she wanted to stay or leave.

"What do we really up against this time? Is it worse than the Ghost Riders?" Hayden questioned, eyebrows pinching together.

"Apparently." Cassandra breathed out. "They were trapped in the Wild Hunt hundreds of years ago and when we saved Stiles, we paved a way for them to break into our world. According to Deaton, the Anuk-Ite is an ancient shape-shifter, a creature of disharmony. It can turn neighbor against neighbor sowing the seeds of discord and hate. It doesn't need fangs. It doesn't need claws. It uses something far more sinister. When paranoia turns to anger, anger turns to violence, entire communities tear themselves apart. The creature feeds off the fear and grows more powerful."

"Who trapped them there?"

"A Hellhound and a Black Hound." The youngest Argent answered wearily. "That's another history I'm gonna fill you up later."

Hayden slowly nodded her head, playing with the hem of her shirt. "Okay, but, how can we stop them?"

"I've learned how." She confidently spoke. "I cannot do it alone, that's why I need some hands to help me."

"But, isn't that like a suicide mission?" Hayden asked.

"Not for you." Cassandra assured her, a small smile adorning her pale lips. "Surely it's going to swallow up my whole energy, but in order to protect those we love, I'll do anything."

There were a few moments of silence between them. Hayden would have wanted to help her, but if helping her was the same as escorting Cassandra to her own death, she'd better refuse. Especially when she heard the only reason Theo kept going during his time underground was to see Cassandra again, she became more and more hesitant to help her. And as bad as their current relationship at this moment, Scott and the pack surely didn't want to lose one of their friends again. But this, this whole plan was one step away to get there–to get to the demise of Cassandra Argent.

However, if Cassandra knew how to defeat the Anuk-Ite one for all, it would protect not only the supernatural creatures, but also common human beings around them in Beacon Hills. It was a suicide, yeah, but she didn't do it alone. Either way Hayden would make sure they could wind up the war without anyone dead–because if Scott or Liam was in her position they would do the same.