H&H Chapter 14: Changing Faces

Start from the beginning

“Well, that is where you’re confused, Macy. There are two different oracles. One is the human oracles, like the oracle at Delphi. They gave messages of the gods to humans. Then there is the oracle to gods, which is different. This oracle works for the Moirai, or the fates. The literally weave together the fabric of the universe, and only they can alter destiny. So if anyone knows how to reverse your situation, the oracle will.

       “Ok,” I said. “By the way, where is Eros right now?”

“He’s speaking with Ares,” Carmen replied. “He believes that Ares might be the only person brave enough to stand up to his mother.”

“I didn’t realize he and his father still spoke,” I said. “Interesting.”

“Well, I didn’t realize Ares was his father,” Carmen said. “Wow, the god of war. No one messes with him, not even Zeus. Except for Hades, but they generally get along.”

We were speaking when the door swung open and Hera marched in, her face contorted with annoyance.

“Make him leave me alone,” Hera exclaimed. “I am literally going to throw him into another dimension if he tells me he loves me one time.”

        “Your majesty,” Carmen said, blushing a bit. “Why don’t I take him out for a walk? Come on, Gabriel. Let’s go take Adonis for a stroll.”

He opened his mouth to speak, but Carmen was already yanking his arm through the doorway. Carmen looked sweet and sultry, but in reality, she was a force to be reckoned with. Gabe followed behind her, not wanted to disobey her and see what happened when her southern charm faded away. Of course, then Hera and I were left to stare at each other, not sure what to do or say next.

“I’m sure you’re enjoying this, somewhere deep down,” she replied.

Hera followed the typical suite most gods do and snapped her fingers, making two glasses and a bottle of wine appear. She poured the wine and handed me a glass, her eyes elsewhere as she did.

“Why would I enjoy any of this?” I asked.

          “I got what I deserve, I suppose. I slept with your boyfriend, only to discover that he is a lovesick puppy who doesn’t give a damn about me. Men who aren’t what they seem are sort of a novelty in my life, you know.”

“Well, he’s not actually my boyfriend anymore,” I said. “But I know he did care for you. He always talked fondly of you, Hera.”

“He spoke fondly of me, did he? That sounds like he thought of me like a sister. Can you imagine my predicament, the queen of the gods, friend zoned for eternity?”

 “Hera, I don’t think it’s like that,” I said. “I mean, it is just bad timing. But you’re so beautiful, I am sure someone…”

“Someone could love me,” She replied sharply. “Like my husband? I wouldn’t bet on it. I have served him faithfully, and yet, he is probably with Aphrodite right now

“Well, some men don’t know what they have,” I said.

        “But he isn’t some man, he is Zeus,” she said. “It took me years before the thought of infidelity even crossed my mind. I mean, he can cheat all he wants, but if I did…”

“There are double standards between men and woman,” I replied.

“Yes,” she said. “And the other male Gods wont’ even speak to me. My husband is feared. I know what marriage means to me, or what it meant. When I made those promises, I meant it. But after centuries, or millenniums of loneliness, I grew tired. I just don’t want to be alone.”