Chapter Fifteen

Time was lost as the next few months were spent in solitary for Giovanni. He refused to face his father or his new found mother. Even his brother didn’t bother him as he usually tried to. Francesca was also silent, unsure of where their relationship would stand now.

As for the story of Annabelle, she was never welcomed again into the house. Caterina had shooed her out of the home. With her head held high, the girl shamelessly embarked on her own journey. It wasn’t until months later did a few servants spot the girl loitering the streets with her hair bejeweled and a lip smiling.

She hadn’t married rich, no. She had taken up the offer of being another girl in a brothel, harem, whatever one would like to call it. Though she seemed content, filling her clear hatred and sorrow with other men. She had damned Giovanni long ago and went on her own path.

Her own choices led to her consequences and absolute demise. Before long she was replaced and everyone learned that the pretty youthful darling had contracted syphilis and her days were spent suffering away from such a disease. No one felt pity for her, not for such a wench.

The story of Sarah was a much brighter one. The girl had started an innocent relationship with a painter which flourished into love. Simple and pure, Francesca envied it but had never been so happy for her. The two had married humbly in the Catholic Church but Sarah still served Francesca. She was given her evenings off to live with her husband as well as Sunday and Monday to relax.  In six months, Sarah was pregnant and Francesca had in turn, taken care of the girl.

Now, Stephen and Rita were proud new parents as well. Their son was born to them healthy and loudly in the morning. Mia, their daughter was excited as ever to have a younger sibling. Stephen stayed by Rita’s side as she took bed rest. It was unconventional but she had decided to nurse her son without a wet nurse. Some had said that her decision was due to events like Caterinas but the rumors were eventually extinguished. Francesca spent her time watching over her handsome little nephew who had beautiful dirty blond curls that swirled around his head like a halo.

The days passed and so did the seasons. Caterina had fell ill and contracted the flu. On normal circumstances she had been as healthy as an ox but due to the mishaps and rejection of her only son, she worsened. Francesca begged Giovanni to speak to her but his stubbornness prevailed. In her last breaths, she spoke only of her thankfulness to Francesca for being by her side and her love for her son. She passed quietly at night and her funereal followed up quickly.

One day Giovanni had decided to announce something that surprised the whole family. He had made his decision to leave home and travel to France in search of new connections and ways to expand the estate or so. He wanted time and not even his father refused his decision.

“I will be back soon,” He said with a parting smile as he planted a kiss on Francesca’s cheek as he went on his carriage ride.

“I will be waiting, always.” She said softly. She watched as the carriage rolled into the dust, rumbling down the uneven road.

A month had passed and Francesca spent her days in loneliness without Giovanni, not realizing how she had come to care about him. On a sunny morning, she felt ill. Her insides were churning and she puked into the bucket. She said nothing of her incident until she had gushed out more vomit at noon. Sarah and her father in law called for the doctor straightaway.

Francesca was fearful of her condition until the physician had spoken great news; she was newly pregnant and was carrying a child of her own. She spent days whispering to herself, blushing at the idea of a baby for her own. She had learned a great amount from both Rita and Sarah and experiencing first hand was indescribable. But she wished she could share the news with Giovanni but the reminder that he wasn’t there was evident.