Chapter Five

1516, November, House of Medici

Giovanni’s patience with Francesca hadn’t lasted long as his futile attempts to woo her fell short. She did not seek for his attention either. Although they had shared one sweet moment to the next, it wasn’t long lasting. In Giovanni’s life, his priority was still held by his lust for women. He disregarded his own promises and continued to seek out Annabelle for company. That evening, they had received an invitation to a ball where they were both expected to attend.

Francesca busied herself with Rita, distracting her thoughts from the prospects of dancing with her unfaithful husband.

“Will you be attending the dance tonight Rita?” Francesca asked hopefully.

“Oh I apologize but I can not. Stephen has business to attend to and I must stay home to watch the little one.”

Disappointed, Francesca let out a heavy sigh.

“Don’t be so crestfallen dear; you’ll meet many other lovely ladies in society.” Rita said as she continued to thread the needle.

“Just going to an event with Giovanni is unpleasant alone.” She murmured unhappily.

“Socialize with others then.” Rita said reassuringly.

“I suppose. I do not look forward to a night of painful dancing though.” She said shivering at the thought of continuous twirling.

“Prepare for blisters.” Rita said with a knowing smile.

Francesca groaned.

Giovanni had spent his day walking alone with peace. He had given up so easily at pursuing Francesca. He didn’t know how to make her happy as he watched her turn sour. He had given her many jewels, beautiful dresses but she was not impressed. He thought for a second. What could a woman like Francesca want? She could have everything she wanted but he had begun to notice her sadness when she was not accompanied with Rita or Mia.

It came to mind.

He smirked, he would defeat her. Succumb into a sweet smile.

His quiet footsteps walked off into the kitchen where he found Annabelle leaning over the pot stirring soup. He surprised her with a long kiss as she handed him the ladle. He nodded approvingly of the taste.

“My sweet, I have a favor to ask you.” Giovanni said as his own eyes found it to hers.

“What is it Giovanni?” Annabelle asked, willingly to do anything for him.

“Would you like to be Francesca’s handmaiden?” He said with his eyebrow raised.

Her immediate smile turned into a frown, “I do not like her. And she knows of our affairs.”

His face nodded, he hadn’t realized that Francesca had called Annabelle the whore that he had bedding but it wouldn’t do. It would be much more suitable if he found another girl. And that was what he decided to do.

That afternoon, he brought the new girl he had found. She was around twenty with her long brown locks tied up. Her eyes were the color of coal and she was equally as tall as Giovanni himself. He had discovered her by the church where she begged the coming and going men to give her a job. He did not care who she was but decided that she was a worthy gift to his wife. Her name was Sarah and had apparently been originally from the north.

The girl followed behind him in silence as Giovanni found his dear wife looking through her closet perhaps for that evening’s party. Her eyes narrowed as she noticed the girl.

“Francesca, I would like to present you with Sarah. She will be your maid. After all, you’ve always wanted company. Bother her instead of Rita.” He said roughly.

“No thank you.” She said, her eyes flashing with anger.

“You will accept because you have no other rights.” He sneered and walked out, leaving the door to close with a loud thud.

“Madam.” Sarah said with a curtsey, her eyes glued to the ground.

“What did he offer you for this!?” She said as she flung a vase onto the ground. “Are you here to spy on me!?” She screeched. Her face red, matching her hair.

“Please madam, I’m merely a beggar from the street looking for a job.” The girl said as she began to pick up the broken glass.

Francesca had her eyes glued onto her new maid. She watched the girl pick up each shard in silence. Even when there was a faint red mark from a possible cut, she swallowed any ounce of pain. She quickly disappeared to dispose the broken shards. But returned quickly.

“What can I do for you madam?” She whispered. Her head bowed and awaiting orders.

“Fetch me some hot water for a bath.” She muttered as she set forth the gown for that evening onto her bed.

Sarah was efficient and arrived with a steaming tub of water. The sleeves of her dress were rolled up and sweat trickled from her forehead as she tugged and set it onto the ground. The water was still warm and let off some steam vapor. Francesca stripped down as she climbed into the tub. Another bowl was used with rags and contained soaps.

To Francesca’s surprise, the girl began to dutifully scrub her hair without any tugging. The soap was quickly lathered. Sarah had been smart enough to bring another fresh bucket of water as she though roughly rinsed Francesca’s hair. She helped her into the fresh gown. It was blue to match her eyes and a corset was set to pull her waist in tightly. The gold designs swirled across the dress. Her hair was left to air dry.

“Thank you for your work.” She said as she watched Sarah clean up the mess of the dirty water. The girl nodded and quickly went to dispose of the contents.

Although there was a tugging guilt, who knew how long of an ‘act’ she was holding. How dare he treat her like filth? She would make tonight miserable just for him.

That Evening, House of Pagano