Chapter Nine

1516, Christmas Eve’s Ball

Francesca wore a dark blue dress that contrasted against her ivory skin and illuminating red hair. She kept a close on Giovanni who had stood his ground with a small group of men. He held a wine glass and seemed merry enough. Lately, he had ignored her. Only paying her attention when he could kiss her a bit. She was envious by a twinge when she saw him smile.

He had tried to be sincere and genuine. But Francesca’s pride had stood in the way of any change.

There were a few familiar faces but of course, Clemente had not been welcomed to the party. Francesca stared up at the decorations and the cross of Jesus. Her rosary was hidden underneath her dress in commemoration to the event. Sarah had not been permitted to stick around and Francesca felt lonelier than ever. She lurked in the shadows.

“How is your wife in bed?” A man joked.

“It’s none of your business to know how we make our love.” A voice replied jokingly.

“Since when did you become a prude Giovanni?”

Francesca’s heart dropped as she listened in on the conversation. They had still, never consummated and the longer the put it off, the higher the chances of punishment when found out. Her father in law did not believe his son since he had … or still was a rake.

“My wife is a difficult woman.” He said

“Difficult to please?”

“Difficult to bed, a challenge.” He said jokingly.

Francesca felt heat rush to her face, embarrassment seared across her whole being. Because she had not allowed him to her, he ridiculed it. But a part of her knew that it was her responsibility which she had failed to accomplish due to her own stubbornness. If others outside heard of her unwillingness, she would be at fault. It was her duty and society would not look upon it any other way. It didn’t matter if she loved him or if he did to her. It just had to be done. Fear had prevented her from moving forward.

But since tonight was an occasion, she was ready to surrender.

“Miss, what are you doing here in the dark?” A voice asked causing Francesca to nearly jump.

She was relieved to see that it was only Sarah.

“I wish to sleep but I have just listened to my husband, mock me, for not giving myself to him.” She said bitterly.

“Oh but Lady Francesca, you know it is a duty … you will have to face it eventually.” Sarah said sadly, sorrow etched with every syllable.

“How is it?” Francesca said tensely.

“Imagine a happier place. It will hurt a bit if he is not gentle with you but eventually you will be accustomed to what you … feel.”

“I fear for my life.” Francesca murmured as she shook with nervousness.

“Do not be, you will be taken care of by God.” Sarah said encouragingly.

“I hope so.”

---

Giovanni had been unusually sober. He spoke pleasantly and acted upon his ‘best behavior.’  After weeks of being enclosed in the house with nothing pretty to flirt with or a beauty to charm, his infatuation with women seemed to slowly die. They all looked the same to him now. Females with parts that could satisfy his own manliness. Other than that, the emotional connection seemed severed. With the exception of his wife who had shined light on it.

He could not find her anywhere which alarmed him a bit but when he saw her chatting with his sister in law, he felt a wave of relief.

Their eyes met for a second and she turned away, furiously red.

That was strange for him to witness. Usually Francesca was composed, regal and calm. She disregarded him when he acted like an ass or even attempted to seduce her. Failing always but tonight, something had changed.

He could not put his tongue to what it was but it felt of importance. His father made a toast and then his brother continued to speak. Words were thrown out of his ears until one specific sentence caught his attention.

“I am proud to say that my lovely wife is indeed pregnant.”

His mouth dropped to a slight ‘o’ and saw Francesca react in the same way. No wonder the pair had refused to go anywhere for the past weeks. He discarded any wild imagination but now there was hope for an heir. If it was a son, Giovanni would be free of learning and such. It was a nice reassurance. His own father looked a little taken back but welcomed it with a small smile.

He took another swig of wine that was poured in his cup. His eyes flitted across the room at the shadows. For the most part he was still sober but he knew if he didn’t stop soon, he would drink himself into frenzy.

---

After the party, Francesca quickly escorted the guests outside with a bright grin and a quiet thank you. In a day or so, news would spread about her and it would either help her reputation or ruin it. The fear jabbed at her but she held enough confidence. It would not result in defeat.

As she turned the corner, she found herself face to face with one of the old maids.

“Oh I’m sorry madam.” She stuttered in surprise.

“Ah it’s alright Lady Francesca.” Old maid Caterina murmured as she quickly curtsied.

Francesca watched as the old woman lugged a huge bucket of water, toddling it near the rooms. Just standing there and being useless over whelmed her with guilt. Francesca hiked up her skirts and ran over, taking one end of the bucket which caught Caterina in surprise.

“Please Lady Francesca, you don’t need to help an old woman like me. I have enough muscles to bring this into the kitchen.” She said with a smile.

“Truly it’s Christmas Even and I’d thought it would be best to help. The sooner this task is completed, I order you to rest. Working is tough and I do believe that one need’s enough energy to function.” She said softly, not caring if she got messy.

“I knew Giovanni was a lucky one.” She chuckled.

“Pardon?” Francesca said with a tilt of her head, her face turning pink.

“That Giovanni needs a fiery girl to tame him down. Ever since he was a child, he was rowdy and wild. I am glad you are there though. With all these loose women and prostitutes on the streets, it’s hard to find dignified beauties.” Her eyes reflected warmth.

“T-thank you. You’re very kind.” Francesca murmured softly.

The closer they got the kitchen, the brighter the light became. Francesca examined Caterina’s features. She wasn’t in fact that old. She looked like she was in her thirties but her hair had been tucked away with cloth, her skin covered with layers and layers of fabric. Some soot and dirt was smudged on her face but there was no doubt, she had been beautiful when young.

“Thank you Lady Francesca.” Caterina murmured as she let the bucket down. The servants in the kitchen rushed to get the water to clean some of the dirty dishes. They bowed at the sight of Francesca but hurried back to their work.

“No need, it’s the least I can do.” Francesca replied, “Now do go to bed and rest, on my behalf.” She said.

“Thank you my lady.” Caterina curtsied yet again and walked back into the hall slowly. Work and hard labor had taken a long toll on her and Francesca admired her for having so much passion and spirit.

---

By now, the clock had struck midnight and Francesca quietly made her way into their bedroom. Her heart thumping as she opened the door. He laid in bed awake as his eyes darted to her.

“Well where have you been?” He asked as he sat up, the candle showed off his bare chest.

“Nothing just helping … some of the servants.” She said quietly as she closed their chamber door. She sat down at her dresser, staring at her reflection. She carefully undid her jewelry and unpinned her hair which fell down in it’s messy curls. His eyes were glued on to her every movement. She was embarrassed to dare undress but quickly she slipped behind a screen and threw on her nightgown.

She plopped herself down onto her side of the bed. Her blue eyes glanced at him.

“What is it that you want?” He mused.

“Why’d you think I want something?” She said innocently.  

“You have been glancing at me with that strange fixation. That look. I see it often when you are angry. Are you angry?” He said sitting up just a bit.

She frowned, “I heard every word you said, you bastard. About us and this bed” She flicked his forehead. Rather than anger, she felt merely sad. She was thankful he respected her choices but at the same time she wondered why he hadn’t had his way with her like he did with the rest of the women he could get.

“Oh?” He said, a look of shame crossed his face. “I was merely jesting with them.”

“It’s alright.” She muttered as she played with a curl.

“Alright?” He said his eyes widening.

“Because it is my fault too. Why, why can’t you just take me like you do the rest.” Her voice wavered on the edge of tears.

This time Giovanni sat up as his finger brought it to her chin, lifting it as he saw the slight glimpses of tears. She wiped it away as her head was bowed down.

“I don’t think it would be right to be a bastard anymore. I’ve done it all my life. I’ve been deprived of my endless playthings for months. I’ve seen some of the greater things in life. I want to start fresh and I will start with that on this marriage.” He said.

“Are you sure? Sure that everything will be ok?” She whispered.

“It will be. I am sorry for my … crude comment. I did not intend for it to offend you.” He brushed back hair from her face.

“I forgive you.” She said with the quietest murmur.

“What did you say?”

“I forgive you, you foolish idiot.” She muttered, her face turning red.

“Heh, you should blush more often.”

“Oh shut up.” She laughed and blew out the candle. Resting on the pillow she felt his arms around her. A sense of warmth and protection. A flicker, a chance for them to get along at last. But what would happen if she fell in love with him? She couldn’t afford a heartbreak. It was easier to suffer through the cold than burn through a fire.

But maybe he would change if she gave him a chance.  

A/N: Lol sorry I was writing it like weeks ago, forgot about it. Revisited it and then figured out how to write the rest of this. Hey it's pretty long so it's a gift ;u;. I will TRY (sorry don't yell) to update sooner in a week or so. If not, pft blame life. Because yeah, busy life busy life. Finally Francesca and Giovanni are aiming for a change! Yay throw your hands up in the air lol. Next chapter will have some important events. At least ... that's how I'm picturing right now. Need to get things set up so events fall in the right ... yeah. I'll stop rambling. Comment, vote, blah blah blah. You know the drill! Thank you for reading :3