Chapter Twelve

“What do I want? You should have known what I wanted Giovanni,” Clemente sneered as his eyes were on Giovanni now.

“You were a bastard to her,” Giovanni said with his eye brows narrowing.

“She was mine, none of your business.” He said with a chuckle before punching Giovanni in the face.

“You took her, raped her,” Giovanni yelled as he swung at Clemente.

“She was betrothed to me until you got in the way, always getting your way with the girls.” He said laughing as blood ran down his forehead.

“She didn’t deserve you,” Giovanni lunged.

 ---

The two were caught in a fight. At a disadvantage, Giovanni got hit by the goons as well. Maria managed to untie herself and smoothly, she swung a punch at her ‘beloved.’

“You’re a lowly disgusting man, I can’t believe you. I hate you so much,” she screamed as tears trailed down her face but she continued to punch at Clemente who eventually pushed her down to the ground until he was punched off by Giovanni.

Eventually men appeared due to the ruckus. Clemente was taken away as he cursed under his breath. Maria cried as she stayed on the ground tears trailing down her face. Giovanni was bruised all over, scratched and bloody. Francesca had been finally freed and she quickly went over to Giovanni panicked.

“We must go home,” Stephen said as he was silent.

Francesca took Giovanni into her arms during the carriage ride as no one spoke a word. When they returned home, her enraged father in law had him rested up in his room for that evening.

She spent days by his side, waiting for him to get better as she spent most of his time sleeping and drinking. He barely spoke and merely grunted and sighed. She was worried sick and felt guilty for ever attempting to befriend Giovanni. He had only wanted to kill him because he didn’t have his way with a woman.

“Don’t you dare die on me,” she murmured as she brushed aside his hair.

“mhm…Francesca.” He murmured in his sleep.

For weeks he was bed ridden, Francesca didn’t mind though. The peace was pleasant and made her happier than she had been since her arrival.

---

1517, March Medici household

One morning, Francesca woke up to a soft kiss on her forehead. Her eyes widened when she realized that he was awake and sitting up. He looked less near death and more alive. She swung her arms around him happily.

“You’re alright, are you feeling any better?” She whispered worriedly as she touched his face and stared up into his eyes.

“Much better, thank you…” He said softly.

“Praise God, you had me worried sick,” she said with a shake of her head as tears welled up in the corner of her eyes.

“Don’t be,” he said as he softly kissed her, “you being by my side was good enough,” as he pulled her close to him by the waist.

She let her head rest on his chest as she heard his pulsing heart. He was healing up and his body was getting stronger. She smiled, not minding the contact for once. She would have nearly been dead if he hadn’t saved her.

“I think I should tell your father, I’ll be back soon,” as she whispered. Her lips kissed his slowly and gently before she parted with a slight grin.

Before long the friar had arrived and given him another dosage of herbs, announcing that he was doing better.

“Thank the heavens,” Madam Caterina said as she doted on him. She had raised him since he was born and cherished him even though he was an idiot sometimes.

“He’s getting much better,” Rita murmured softly as she waddled around the room to make room for her growing stomach. Her cheeks were rosy and Stephen merely nodded.

“Don’t be so rash, if you need help… you should call for it,” Stephen muttered as he smirked at his younger brother.

“At least you’re alive and awake,” their father murmured as he said pleasantly. “Get him some food, I’m sure Francesca will accompany him for the rest of the time.”

“Yes, of course father,” she said with a small smile. Heat rushed to her cheeks as she remembered how she had so boldly kissed him.

---

For the rest of the afternoon, Francesca stayed by Giovanni’s side.

“What has happened to Clemente and your sister?” He asked suddenly, his eyes concerned.

Francesca sighed as she took a seat next to him. They were outside and breathing in the fresh air. It seemed like better than cooping him up in his room. She took a bite of the pasta before her before deciding to speak up.

“Clemente has been … hanged,” she said softly.

“Hanged?” Giovanni said in surprise.

“Yes hanged for the murder of his betrothed, for tying up my sister and me, injuring you as well … he is dead now,” she said quietly.

“I never wanted him dead,” Giovanni said with a shake of his head.

“They declared him insane,” Francesca replied. “As for my sister, she has decided to return back to Milan. Her heart was broken and she refuses to step back into a nunnery. I do not know what she plans to do but apparently father will have her learn to become a mid wife,” she sighed.

“I hope she does better,” he murmured sorrowfully.

“I do too,” she said with a small smile. “At least you’re doing better though,” she grinned.

“Yes, indeed,” he said with his eyebrows raised.

---

Later that night, Giovanni took Francesca into his arms. She allowed him finally to take her. He had never been so scared yet gentle. It wasn’t lust but something along the start of love. He still didn’t grasp the concept but he felt devoted to her. He had only set his eyes on her. Any common maid or whore wouldn’t matter to him anymore.

Francesca had heard about such matters but never imagined the actuality to be that intense. She screamed and moaned in ways she had never imagined herself capable. She cared for Giovanni more deeply than she had thought. She didn’t know if it was honest love but she didn’t care anymore.

They consummated their marriage that very night.

Elsewhere, a blonde girl was making her way back to the Medici household. Her stomach had bulged out and she smiled proudly, cooing at it every so often. Giovanni had promised her to always welcome her back and she had finally returned. She had spent a few months expelled in the countryside looked upon like a maid. But with her return, she knew he would give her a proper title. As soon as their child was born.

“I can not believe he would let you return,” Madam Caterina hissed as she looked at the girl with nothing but anger.

“He loves me, he always will,” she said with a laugh.

“Don’t be so sure anymore, things have changed around here,” Madam Caterina said with a glare.

“Not for long,” Annabelle said with her held high up. 

A/N: Sorry for this short update, my brain was so fried that I wasn't really inspired at all. But ta da, look who's back. Yep that's right Annabelle, tcht no one likes her :D aha. I don't know what I'm doing amyore but the next chapter will be pretty long so look forward to that! Uh vote, comment, whatever else you'd like to do! Thank you :3