Chapter 8

Shadow squealed at Dixon who simply turned away from the mare. He rolled his eyes and shook out his mane, flicking a fly away with his tail which seemed to offend the mare and she squealed again.

"What's her problem, eh, boy?" Lauren asked him softly as she tugged on his ear playfully. She ran the brush down his neck.

Dixon snorted. He nuzzled her shoulder with his nose and blew air into her face playfully. Lauren laughed. "Okay, okay." She pulled a sugar cube from her pocket and held it out to him.

Whinnying softly, Dixon took the sugar cube off her hand and crunched it between his teeth.

"You have an amazing relationship with him." Lauren turned to see Camila standing outside the stall.

"Thanks." Lauren said slowly. "He's my best friend back home... he's my only friend."

"He's beautiful." Camila said. "I just wish Shadow was nicer to him."

"Maybe she's in heat." Lauren muttered, looking down at the floor.

"What was that?" Camila frowned as she looked at the green-eyed girl.

"Oh, nothing. Maybe we should get ready for that lesson." Lauren said. She moved over to her box of brushes and dropped the body brush into it.

"Maybe your right." Camila turned and walked away.

Lauren sighed as Dixon turned his head to look at her, giving his famous judging look.

"Don't look at me like that." Lauren narrowed her eyes and pushed his nose away playfully. Dixon snorted in response. "I'll be right back." Lauren tugged gently on his ear before packing up her grooming supplies and leaving the stall.

She walked towards the tack room and  dropped the bag of brushes into the box with Dixon's name on it. Collecting his tack and her helmet, she left without saying a word to the girls watching her.

"Those Americans took my cousins spots." A blonde girl muttered to her friend but Lauren ignored the comment.

Lauren smiled at Dixon as she rested his saddle over the wall of his stable. "Ready?"

Dixon snorted and shook out his mane, Lauren laughed. "Come on, it won't be that bad." She entered the stall and fought with Dixon to get his bridle on like she always did back home. She was glad that nothing had changed.

Dixon shook his head and stamped his foot in defeat. Lauren giggled. "It won't be that bad." She pushed his shoulder playfully and collected his saddle.

Dixon didn't put us much of a fight when it came to his saddle. He simply lowered his head and chewed on his bit. Lauren tightened his girth and patted his shoulder. She collected her helmet and put it on, taking Dixon's reins into her hand. "Lets go, buddy."

Dixon snorted. He lifted his head and followed Lauren out of his stall and towards the barn door. They waited patiently beside the arena for the rest of their class to get there.