Ch. 30 - The Night With Dean

My mind was racing after I hung up the call and tucked away my phone.

Dean was hurt again? What did Trey mean by in more ways than one?

"Everything alright?" I jump as the new voice intrudes my thoughts. My head snaps to the side to see Faye standing in the doorway of the dinning room I had walked into for privacy. Her brows raise at my reaction.

"Sorry."

"Who called? You seem upset."

Dean's hurt and....My mind blanked a moment.

No. No, he should be fine right? Isn't that like part of his job description?

I suddenly become aware of the awkward silence I've left lingering between Faye and I. One of my false make everything right smiles finds its way to my face as I meet her probing stare.

"Oh, that? Nah, I'm fine. Just a....a small family emergency, but it should be fine."

Though somewhat clumsy, I manage the lie with a shrug, without breaking our gaze. I'm doing this too often.

"Emergency? Something happen to Jack the Ripper?"

"Not him, an extended friend of the family...but it should be-"

"Fine?" She finishes my statement.

"Yeah."

Nauseating guilt churns in my gut...however this time I'm not sure which reason is the cause of it.

My phone vibrates in the back pocket of my jeans, feeling less like Trey sending me the address of their location and more like the device scolding me for my actions...or lack there of.

If he's hurt what am I supposed to do?!

The curiosity leaves my friend's demeanor and she leads me upstairs back to her room. Once there, she merrily goes to the corner where her Bluetooth speakers are and starts rifling through her phone's playlist.

I can't even comprehend the music.

I'm simply resting on her sheeted bed consumed by my own thoughts. Imagination takes over and soon the only things left are a variety of what if scenarios, all ending in something horrible happening to the infuriating boy I've somehow come to have a school girl crush on.

A crush I though I was done with.

They need help, my mind scolds. Dean's hurt and needs help.

The second I truely let that statement solidify, I finally reacted. I was excusing myself from the house, claiming that the seemingly small family emergency, was a bit more urgent than I had previously thought it was. I didn't miss the disappointment deep within Faye's eyes, but it was gone just as fast as I had noticed it. My guilt towards it actuallly had me leaving quicker. Her and her mother walked me out the door, each getting their hug in before I went off to my car.

It took me fifteen minutes to get to Kingston, when it usually takes twenty five.

My car cruised down the streets as I neared the address in my GPS, expecting to see Trey outside and dragging a bleeding and battered Dean down the sidewalk, ready for the emergency room. My mind raced when I saw no one. I abruptly got myself into a parking space and called Dean's number.

"Trey, where are you? I'm at the spot you sent to me."

"Woah, you're here already? You must have been tearing up the pavement."

"What does that matter?! You said you guys need help, hurry up so we can get to the hospital!" The urgency in my tone delayed Trey's response, almost as if how was suprised I was this worried. Why wouldn't I be?!