Ch.2 - The Faceoff

Dean Sawyer.

The myth and the legendary enigma himself.

A volatile boy standing well over a head taller than most students, sporting a glare so icy I've no doubt it formed at the bottom of the coldest pit in the artic and clawed its way out. In Faye's humble description, 'sensible people would rather have a slap fight with Edward Scissorhands than poke at Dean on a bad day.'

Do I agree with that conclusion? Absolutely.

I remember his unexpected arrival to our school halfway through junior year. The word "Juvie" was whispered about quite a bit that week. A couple of class clowns decided it would be hilarious to haze the new guy as an initiation into the school. So, come Chemistry class Dean received a rigged lab set, and everything in the utterly foul smelling vial exploded all over his shirt.

Truely the best decision to be made this century.

Dean was unphased by the joke and simply laughed. And that was it...or at least that's what everyone thought. Imagine the class's horror when, faster than anyone could actually comprehend, Dean got up and smashed both boys' heads down onto their desks, effectively knocking them out cold.

And that's was the start.

Ever since then rumors of all kinds flock to his name, like a creature in folklore everyone seems to have a vague yet sworn to be accurate account of. And I do mean all kinds: Gangs, arrests, broken hearts, hospitalizations....

All fueled by his temper, the fantasies of pure teenage boredom and the well....the bruises.

They aren't as constant as mine. But apparently, they are more frequent than what's normal for a teenager. He doesn't hide them. He isn't even shy about people seeing them. Just don't ask questions. Even I've caught glimpses in the hallways, and I spend no time near the boy.

Is he getting abused? I'll never know.

But ultimately, that's where my interests in him has always layed. A part of me envies how openly and fearlessly he can wear pain on his skin, whatever the cause. He doesn't keep to the corners, tugging down shirt sleeves to avoid eyes on whatever shame that lies beneath.

I envy Dean Sawyer for that.

Reckless, wild, angry, and fearless. Dean seems like the type that would mess with the bull, because he wanted the horns. And somehow he's still the one to always come out on top.

I tore my gaze away from Dean and turned back to Faye, only to find the look of a love struck school girl plastered onto my best friends face. Caught red handed, Ms. Nasty.

"Faye, close your mouth. Something is going to fly in while your drooling." I said, smacking her lightly on the stomach.

This girl really has some hormonal issues! One of these days I'm going to need to put her on a leash just to hold back the crazy.

"I know what your thinking Pae. I may be a flirt, but I've got sense. Sawyer is trouble," Faye says to me, rolling her eyes. The skeptical look on my face remained as I observed her, knowing she was about to flip the script. "So...I'll just drool from a distance," she snickered, while hiding herself behind my locker door.

This girl...

"What am I going to do with you, Hot Pants." I turned and headed to my next period class after gently shutting my locker, effectively ruining her ridiculous hiding spot.

I guess I can't really blame Faye for her reaction towards Dean. He wasn't exactly unattractive.

I walked to my English class, ready to find a seat and sink into my textbooks. Unfortunately, as soon as I walked in, a sea of people turned their heads in my direction.