Chapter Five: What We Like (Hate) About Each Other

*** //Authors Note//
Sorry for the really late update! Been really busy preparing for exams and all :( Will update more regularly once my exams are over in about 2 more months!!! It's really heartening to see all the support y'all have given me, thank you so much!! To express my gratitude here's a much longer chapter for you guys, hope it won't disappoint :) Pls continue to support MTME and recommend this book to others as well as vote and comment!! And do check out my other works too :)
xoxo, cherryworks_ ***

"Dad!" I groaned and threw the file on the bed.

A look of confusion crossed his face. "What's wrong? You don't like this guy?"

"I don't!"

"Why not?"

"Dad!!!" How could he pair me up with my worst enemy?

"What? Is there anything terribly wrong, my princess?"

Oh right, of course. I'd almost forgotten Dad didn't know anything about my bad blood with Connor.

Although I'd tell my Dad ninety-nine percent of the things that goes on in my life, there's that one-percent that I just can't tell him. There's just some things that I prefer to handle on my own because if Dad butts in those stuff my life is screwed.

For instance, this.

Dad loves kicking up a fuss whenever he can - simply because he has the ability to, and if he found out that a boy had seen me half naked in a boys locker room plus insulted my non existent boobs plus that boy is "Mr Popular" Connor Anderson...the whole school will end up finding out about my embarrassing encounter, and I can kiss my reputation goodbye.

I let out another loud groan. "I just don't like this guy!"

Dad sighed. "I don't see a reason for you to not like him. He's honestly the best candidate out of all of them."

"But-"

"No buts, Brooklyn," Dad said calmly, looking at me pointedly.

And I know whenever he calls me "Brooklyn", he's in business mode - the state he engages in when conversing with his colleagues or business partners. And there's no negotiation with him when he's like this.

"You have no idea how hard it was for us to come up with all these in just a matter of days. We are very busy people, you know."

"I know," I sighed, "and you didn't have to..."

"Enough, just listen to your father and have faith in him, will you?" Dad looked at me expressionlessly again. "Will you?"

Damn, I hated it when Dad was in business mode.

"Yes, daddy," I mumbled miserably.

"Very good." Dad's wrinkled face broke into the huge endearing grin reserved only for me, Brooklyn. "That's my little princess. It's late now, have a good rest. You need to have your beauty sleep tonight so you'll be able to stun the candidate with your breathtaking beauty tomorrow."

Stun him with my beauty? Yeah, right.

Once Dad left, I returned my attention back to the impossible task I had to complete by tonight. Suddenly it didn't seem too hard anymore. All it took was a few minutes for me to channel my hatred into writing five simple statements.

That's right, I'm ready.

*****************************

"Before today's assembly ends, we have a very special segment," the student councilor spoke mysteriously into the mic.