"Can you come over?" I asked. My voice was shaky, and my throat burned slightly.

"What's wrong?" She asked. I heard the concern in her voice.

"I think I really fucked up," I let out a little chuckle, followed by a sniff.

"What did you do?"

"It's about Soda."

"I'll be there as soon as I can," she promised before hanging up.

When we hung up, I glanced at my recent calls and saw Soda's name. My thumb hovered over his name for a few moments and then I clicked it, but the phone didn't even ring. It went straight to voicemail.

"It's Soda. Leave a message." Beep.

I finally gave up. I clicked my phone off and let it fall in my lap. This was all my fault. My boy poured his heart out to me and I tossed his love aside. Engaged isn't married, it's not like there's a timeline we have to follow. We can get married in ten years if we wanted to. Soda just wanted to show me how much he loved me and make a promise that he would never stop. He wanted to give me his mother's ring.

The doorbell rang which brought me out of my thoughts. I rubbed my palm against my cheek as I stood up and walked over to the front door. I opened it and Lillian greeted me with a sympathetic smile on her face with movies and candy in her hands.

"Hey." She came inside and I shut the door behind her. "What did Soda do?"

"He didn't do anything," I said with a sigh.

"I swear, if that boy does anything to hurt you I will—"

I interrupted her to say, "I hurt him."

She turned to look at me with an expression of surprise. She slowly sank to the couch and set the candy and the movies on the cushion beside her. "Huh?"

"He proposed," I mumbled.

"He did?" Her eyes widened.

Through my frustration with myself, I told her everything about what happened tonight. Starting with Pony and Darry's fight, the dancing when we got home, to his proposal. I told her about how he left when I turned him down, and that he won't pick up his phone.

"I'm sorry," she said empathetically.

"He was going to give me his mother's ring," I told her.

"Oh, wow. That's amazing, he must really love you but you aren't ready, and that's okay. He needs to respect that. He can't just run off whenever he gets upset."

"He doesn't know how to deal with his emotions any other way," I said. "He's used to fighting or just bottling up his emotions and not doing anything about it until he dies. But I don't know where he is or what he's doing."

"I think you just need to give him a chance to cool off," she reasoned. "Don't worry about him."

"Yeah, you are right," I agreed. I could feel my stomach cramping a bit, begging for more food. I shook my hands out to take some of the energy away. "Do you want any real dinner? I'll go out and get us something."

"Burger, please," she asked.

"Okay," I said, thinking about going to Dairy Queen. I just want something greasy and delicious.

"I'll queue up a movie. Any requests?"

"Pick anything that's funny," I chuckled.

She flashed a Mean Girls DVD by her face and said, "I brought the perfect one. Hurry back."

"I'll be right back."

"Drive safe."

"I will," I promised.

I walked out the door and trotted down the stairs. I glanced at the lawn that Soda and I were happily dancing in just a few minutes ago. The crisp air stung my nose, and my eyes. I could imagine our laughter coming together as he threw me over his head and making me roll off his back.

I got into my car and the light whistle of the wind ceased when I closed the door. I stuck my key into the ignition and I turned it on. I checked my phone again, but I didn't have anything from Soda.

Where did he go? What was he doing?

I decided to call Darry. I couldn't stop thinking about Soda. If I knew he was at home with Darry, I'd at least be able to sleep tonight.

"Hello?" Darry answered.

"It's Bri," I said. I usually do not say my name after calling someone, but I knew that Darry would not read caller ID and he would ask who I am anyway.

"Hey, Bri, how is it going? It's mighty late."

"Not too good." I took a shaky breath. "Um, is Soda there?"

"No, he isn't. Why? Did something happen? Are you two fighting? Did you break up? Where is he? Is he okay? Are you okay? What is going on?" His words came out faster and faster with each breath.

"Darry!" I stopped him. "Everything is fine. He just left, and I'm not sure where he went."

"Do I need to call the cops?"

"No," I said quickly, now wishing I never called him. I should have called Pony. "Maybe if you texted him, you can tell me what he says."

"Okay, I will. Thanks for letting me know. Good night."

"Night."

When we hung up, I once again tried to call Soda. It was no use. No rings, and it went straight to voicemail.

"It's Soda. Leave a message." Beep.

I dropped my phone into my lap and I put the car into drive. Driving helps calm me, so hopefully this will help me take my mind off of it. I turned the volume up on the radio, and drove to the Dairy Queen. I ordered food for Lillian and I, and began my drive back.

I stopped at a stop light and yawned and leaned against the window. I looked out and saw a figure walking under the street light on the sidewalk. When the light shined on him, I noticed it was Soda. He wore his jean jacket, with a cigarette between his lips. He was staring at the ground and his fists were stuffed into his pockets. He was not carrying his bag anymore, so it must either be in his car, or somewhere else. I tried to think of anyone he would know who lives around here, but I could not think of anyone. Maybe Two, but he is a good ten minute drive away.

It took everything for me to not pull up next to him, exactly the way I did when we first met. I just wanted to run over to him and say that I was sorry, but I could not bring myself to do it. I knew he was hurting, and he had to come to me when he was ready. Walking was his way of cooling off.

I simply sighed, and continued driving home when the light turned green.