"Oh, babe," Carmilla's hand clasped mine and Aurora followed suit. "Are you okay? I can't imagine what it was like going through that alone." Aurora slid out of the booth and came to sit next to me. Her arm went around my shoulders pulling me into a side hug.

            "We would have been there for you, Emmie, anytime, anyplace, you know that," Aurora added. I smiled softly at them.

            "I know, there was just so much happening I didn't think to contact anyone," I answered. Aurora and Carmilla both nod in understanding. "Violet found me actually."

    "Wait, really? What did she do?" Aurora asked.

    "Um, well, she helped me up, and told me that she was proud of me for breaking up with Sawyer, because she understands how hard it can be," I looked down at my hands, fiddling with them in my lap. "And then she saw Eliza and mines matching sex hair and kind of closed off."

    "She'd been open with you? I thought she was all brooding and silent," Carmilla added curiously. I explained our Saturday ritual to my friends and watched as their eyes grew incredulously. "No way."

    "Yeah, I don't know, I didn't really think much of it," I shrugged. "We just kept each other company and went on our way. It's not a big deal."

    "You never even let us in your safe haven, Emmie," Carmilla whined.

    "Because you both don't shut up."

    "Fair point," She retorted.

    "Hey! Carm is the one that doesn't stop talking, I sit there quietly," Aurora justified.

    "No, you slurp your coffee loudly," I grumbled. "The point being, Violet and I sit there in silence and do our own thing. It's nice not being expected to talk, you know?" I wasn't big on social interactions, it honestly took a lot out of me to deal with people. Carmilla, Aurora, and Sawyer were really the only people who I can stand a prolonged period of time with. But, now, it seems like Violet was sneaking her way onto that list. I enjoyed the time we spent together, even if we rarely spoke. "Enough about my life, can we talk about something else?"

            "Oh, I have a better idea!" Carmilla bounced in her seat excitement exuding from her body. I was about to ask her where she wanted to go, but, in true Carmilla fashion, she was already out of her seat racing to the door leaving Aurora and I to chase after her.

            Carmilla led us on a short walk past the downtown area of Elmsfield and toward the middle and elementary schools. Aurora and I followed dutifully behind her joking that she always had to be the one leading us.

            "It's cause I'm the more outgoing and adventurous one," She stated placing her hands on her hips in a quintessential power pose. It was hard to argue with that. I often wished I could be more like Carmilla. She was fearless and wild. She charged head first into every situation without a care in the world. Nothing could hold her back. Whenever Carmilla got knocked down she would get right back up. There was an air of power to her that I desired to have. And while perhaps I couldn't be like Carmilla, at least I had her in my life to lead me on adventures and stand up for me when I couldn't do it myself.

            Instead of letting Carmilla to continue to lead, I ran past her. She didn't take kindly to being upstaged and chased after me, her cackle echoed on the empty streets. Aurora called after us, "Guys! Be careful!"  But she proceeded to run with us anyway. All the weight I had been carrying the past week lifted off my shoulders. Despite running at a speed my body often didn't encounter, I felt like I could finally breath again.

            We rounded the corner near the schools and Carmilla took the lead again directing us toward the playground. I grinned wildly remembering this playground. This is where the three of us met. It was pure coincidence that the three of us became friends. Our own parents brought us each here and set us loose on the playground to do as five-year-olds do. I had immediately went to the jungle gym wanting to conquer my fear of slides. I remembered having hurt myself the week prior and never wanting to go on one again, but my dad kept trying to push me to do it again, so that's what I did. Charlie went to the sandbox to build a castle, leaving me to my own devices. I got to the top where the slide was and froze. It seemed like such a long way down and I didn't want to do it when I heard a voice come from behind me. Aurora had appeared and told me that most kids don't get hurt on the slides so it's safe. I wasn't entirely convinced so I turned to go around her when I smacked into Carmilla. She was taller than me even then. She had a grin on her face and encouraged me to do it saying that she would go first and prove it was safe. True to her word, she did and I followed after her with Aurora right on my tail. It's been the three of us ever since.

            I pushed faster willing my short legs to catch up with my friends. I was neck and neck with them after a quick burst of energy when I saw a figure meandering through the park. The person passed under a lamp in the park and it illuminated the figure, exposing Violet and her brilliant red hair. My pace slowed as my friends continued to race to the playground, stopping when they realized I was no longer with them.

            Violet noticed my presence and took her headphones off. I smiled breathlessly at her wiping the sweat from my brow. "Hey, Violet," I said when we both stopped in front of each other.

            "Hi, Emery," She responded tucking her hands into the pocket of her hoodie.

            "What are you doing here so late at night?"

            "Funny, I could ask you the same thing," Violet tilted her head to the side inquisitively.

            "I'm on an adventure. Despite what you may think, I'm not always surrounded by dogs or books," I responded a cheeky grin on my face.

            "And here I was thinking that you slept in the cages."

            "You joke, but it has happened," Violet let out a small laugh. Her eyes widened as soon as she did and immediately stopped. I paused thoughtfully, still on a high from the adrenaline pumping through my veins. "Will I see you Saturday?" I asked hopeful. Violet's expression gave nothing away, but I noticed her body relax at the mention of our usual routine. Violet ducked her head slightly and pulled her headphones out of her sweatshirt pocket. She was silent for what felt like an eternity before she spoke up again.

            "I'll think about it," Violet said not giving any indication of what say might do. "Goodnight, Emery." Her lips twitched like they were about to curve into a smile, but it never came. Instead she put her headphones on and walked away. I watched until she disappeared around a bend and out of sight. I turned around to find Carmilla and Aurora smirking at me.

    "What?" I asked, confused by their expressions

    "Oh, nothing," Carmilla said. I rolled my eyes and decided to ignore whatever they were thinking.

            "Whatever," I grumbled. "Race you guys to the swing set!" Carmilla and Aurora were stunned for a moment giving me the chance to race ahead of them. I laughed loudly as they shouted after me. I felt light for the first time in a long time. Everything had seemed so dark for so long I didn't think I could feel so carefree again. The beginning of this summer I was lost. My plans were destroyed and things I never accounted for happened. But that was life. Nothing was set in stone no matter how badly I wanted it to be. And maybe that was for the best. Life was unpredictable and it had taken me on a wild - and albeit heart wrenching - ride recently. I wouldn't change the experience for the world because for the time, I felt okay.