"I came to the conclusion that you had either fallen deaf or dead. Did you not receive the message? We have less than six minutes now until our window closes."

"I am alive," Jax stated.

"Yes, I can see that."

Malcom occupied himself loading bullets into an empty magazine. Once loaded, he tossed the piece across the room to Jax.

"Since it would appear we are extending our stay here..."

In one fluid motion, he sheathed his daggers and caught the airborne object in one hand. His gaze remained fixed in a glare directed at his comrade as he did this.

He was without question partial to his daggers, though an assault rifle would make for a quick escape should any conflict arise. Malcolm was clearly thinking along the same lines, hence his offering, though at present he was not in any mood to express his gratitude towards the insufferable man.

Malcolm had no expectation to be thanked and placed his foot into the stirrup of his own weapon, a crossbow, and reloaded it hastily. Though Jax held superiority over Malcom, their history had allowed him certain liberties. Mutilation or death would be the most likely consequence for any other pack member if were to address Jax in such a manner.

"I hope you can forgive me for alarming you as I did just now. I shall be more mindful of your fragile nerves from now on," Malcolm promised, without looking up from his task.

Jax observed the subtle but readily apparent smirk on Malcolm's face and ignored his snide remark, snapping the magazine into place.

"There's a survivor this way," he informed him, gesturing with his gun in the direction of the hall.

Malcolm stared at Jax. He believed that if there were any lifeforms left, they were likely fanged, four-legged, and bloodthirsty.

"Have you been hallucinating?" Malcolm asked.

Before Jax replied, an ear-piercing scream rang out from down the hallway, followed by a string of sobs.

The initial vocalization bore an uncanny resemblance to the kind of howl an animal makes before submitting to its death at the hands of a predator.

What was even more disturbing was that this bone-chilling howl had a distinctively feminine and humanlike quality to it.

A look was exchanged between them. An unspoken agreement was quickly made as they began moving along the carcass-littered hallway before them.

They now had just over 4 minutes until their window closed.

Enemy reinforcements were likely to arrive at any minute now if they hadn't already. The two of them were both skilled and fearsome warriors, but they were soon to be greatly outnumbered.

They passed a doorway to their left in which a low and menacing growl followed after them, acknowledging their unwelcome presence.

Malcolm motioned for Jax to continue on without him before ducking down and rolling across the floor of the hallway. He crouched underneath a broken table at the end of the corridor, situating the body of his bow against his cheek, the tip of the arrow gleaming in the direction of the door frame.

Jax felt his heart begin to pound with slightly more force than before as he raced toward the only other room that remained. He didn't look back as the sound of an arrow being set loose whistled from behind him. A dull thud was followed by an angry snarl as the arrow hit its mark on the beast.

Coming to a stop in front of the doorway, he forcefully connected his heel with the wood with a firm kick. The door immediately gave way, creaking as it tilted back, meeting the floor with a crash.