Proposals and Mergers

Start from the beginning

"Adam, you know I love you and consider you the best of friends. It pains me that I must refuse such a desirable offer. I would not hurt you or your family for the world... but I cannot." His heart grew tight at the disappointment shining in his friend's eyes. He felt cornered, but he knew he could not be swayed in this.

I don't understand. Our families are the best of friends, why would you...?" King Adam began only to be interrupted by one of his sons.

"Father, can't you take a hint? His majesty is gay." The young man declared as he came to stand by his mother. The silence in the room was deafening. It seemed as each person was processing the words just spoken at their own pace, the king in question just watched in silence. The two of them appraised each other, the king coming to a decision of sorts. He was not going to disagree.

He licked his lips and sat back in his seat to see what would come of the outburst. It gave him an out, and was not entirely incorrect. He had been with the other sex in his youth with little interest and no enthusiasm. He had been with his own sex more recently for relief and did not find it unappealing. If he had to say, it would be that either would do and men were preferable. He grinned to himself as his friend started to splutter a bit, an apology fortunately.

"Ah! I had not even considered that. I am so sorry my dear friend. You must feel very put on the spot with all this. Of course my daughters would not suit in that case." He glared at his wife as she started nodding her head and trying to whisper to him. "Hush woman. I'm getting to it..."

"Oh great..." The young prince rolled his eyes and tried to walk away. His mother had grabbed onto his wrist and would not let go.

"That being the case, would you consider one of my sons instead?" King Adam finally got out. The two young men who had been whispering looked over in shock. King Alaric stroked his chin thoughtfully, taking his time to appraise each of the boys carefully.

The smallest had put his hand over his mouth and looked at him rather terrified. Silly boy, he was far too young to even be considered. The one next to him had the crest for the heir apparent on his breast, so must be the eldest. Really what the king meant was would he marry the boy that was being held onto with a death grip by his mother. "Perhaps Prince Damien here?" the queen's soft voice intoned.

Their eyes met again, the boy's were wary this time as he was being considered as a potential candidate now. King Alaric searched them for... what he wasn't sure. Maybe it was what they didn't hold that intrigued him. There was no fear, no disgust, and no haughtiness swimming in their depths. Just some curiosity and maybe a pinch of humour. By getting the king out of his predicament, he had thrown himself into his own. At least he saw the humour in this whole situation.

"What say you, boy? Would you marry a king for your father?" He wanted to see what was going on in that young man's head. The boy looked away, to his father for a moment and then to the pleading look from his mother. He gulped.

"Nay. I'd not do it for my father nor my mother. If I marry a king, it will be because he is worthy and I wish to." He looked back at King Alaric and met his gaze fiercely. His chin had gone up a notch, almost challenging the king. Alaric put his chin in his hand and hid his grin. He had to admit, he rather liked the boy's spirit. He sat thoughtful for a moment.

The room waited in silence. Lord Biron almost looked hopeful as he watched the scene unfold. As the king stroked his chin and flicked his gaze up to the watchful eyes around him, he slowly came to a decision. He slapped his hands gently on the arms and got up from the seat. He approached the young prince with an even gait. The queen let go of him and his gaze flickered to her and then back up to the king who was now only a foot away.