seventeen | dan

Christmas was great, Dan got loads of presents this year. His favorite was a gift from his mom. He didn't open it up on Christmas morning along with the rest of his presents. He'd spent the day with Phil, Louise, and Zoe, so when he got back and went up to his room he saw a record player on his dresser. Dan had always wanted one of these since he was in middle school. Of course he couldn't really get one anymore since it would be useless. She'd even given his fifty dollars which he could spent on records.

New Year's was good as well, Dan and Phil left their families and friends for the night and watched the ball drop on a YouTube live stream. Dan couldn't hear the cheers of their friends and family downstairs from the roof as they kissed, but he could feel the rush that was new years. Holidays were great that year.

Of course the holidays were over which meant it was time to focus on more important topics such as getting his hearing aids. In the second week of January they went to have the surgery. Apparently it was a small minor surgery but it didn't seem like it to Dan. They had to put him under anesthesia and the surgery was supposed to be two hours long. Of course he hasn't felt any pain during the process, he hadn't even remembered any of it.

Apparently after the surgery was done and they were waiting for him to wake up they had done the fitting  for his hearing aids. Which he was scheduled to get the week after his surgery, which was suppose to be today.

He was glad they scheduled it during the weekend, Phil has begun to question Dan about all his visits to the doctors. Dan told his it was nothing, all Phil did was nod and change the subject. Not going to school would only add onto Phil's suspicions. It's not like he wasn't going to tell Phil he was just afraid to. So he had decided he would tell Phil on his birthday, which was next week. It was perfectly timed, all he had to do was pretend he couldn't hear for a week.

As he and his mom piled into the car and began their way to the doctors office. They had scheduled it early in the morning on Sunday so by the time Phil woke up he would be back at home.

The ride to the doctors were long like always, Dan's mother kept giving him reassuring smiles and holding his hand. It made Dan feel like he was ready to do anything.

While he and his mom walked up to the receptionist he thought about how this might be the last time he'd ever step foot into this place. It made his feel strangely sad, but full of relief at the same time.

They didn't have to wait long before Dr  Adams came out to get them. Dan fidgeted with his sweater sleeves as he walked toward the doctors office.

He walked into a room that wasn't quite a doctor's office, it didn't have a check up table in it, all it had was a couch and a plastic chair that you could adjust the height too.

Thats were Dan sat as Dr Adams opened a tiny suitcase with with two small nude colored aids. He gave them to Dan for him to examine. They looked smaller in his hands the they did in the suitcase, they were meant to be put the opening of your ear. They had a small gear at side for turning the volume up and down. They matched the color of Dan's skin perfectly, you would never he able to tell he was wearing them. He turned the volume all the way down before putting they both in.

He slowly began to turn the gear on both of the aids.

His heart almost stopped. Nobody was talking, or walking, or making any noise. But he could hear something.

He could hear his mom's rapid breath, and the chair he was sitting on squeak as he moved side to side. He liked at him mom and saw her eyes widen.

"Dan?"

He felt the pang of nostalgia hit him. His mom's voice sounded like early mornings and the taste of peanut butter-jelly sandwiches.

"Mum."

He felt the tears roll down his cheeks as he mother hugged him tight. He heard her sobs and he didn't get why they were so damn emotional.

He heard the Dr Adams voice, deep and anxious.

"Congratulations Dan."

"Thank you."

Dan was struck by his voice, it was still slightly squeaky like it was when he was young but it sorta deepened. It didn't surprise his that he remained slightly posh sounding though.

They walked out the Doctors office with him mom hugging him and kissing his cheeks. Her voice still remained sweet and motherly after all these years.

When they hopped in the car Dan told his mother flat out he didn't want anybody knowing yet.

"I want to tell Phil first, on his birthday, it's just next week."

His mom laughed and he made him want to laugh to.

"Of course you can tell you're boyfriend first, I'll make sure Dad and Adrian knows."

Just as she said that his phone vibrated as he got a text from Phil.

philly: Good morning darling

philly: are you up to see a movie with us today

Dan giggled, Phil has taken to calling him weird pet names, he adored it. But he wasn't really up to seeing Phil today, all he wanted to do was watch movies, youtube, listen to music and watch anime.

no sorry I wanna lazy day today, you can text me though I'll answer

philly: I understand

philly: see you as school tomorrow then

He smiled and leaned back in his seat. He reached to turn the radio on, some shitty rap song came on. Dan doesn't like rap, but it was music to his ears