22. Finale Chapter

“Haymitch! Haymitch! Where are you?” Effie shouts through the house. “You have to help me. I’m afraid I forgot something and I can’t think straight right now.”

Slowly he steps down the stairs and walks over to Effie. “Could you please calm down right now!” He growls stopping her running from wall to wall.

“The last two weeks you spend every minute in the planning of the wedding and I know you didn’t forget anything. The location, the decoration, the invitations, the wedding cake, the toasting and every little detail is ready and tomorrow the first guests will arrive. It’s not a wedding you know from the Capitol it’s a little wedding of two people who would be happy only with their few friends and a toasting.”

“But Haymitch it’s a wedding everything must be perfect.” Effie tries not to cry.

“These two kids been through so many awful things the only thing they need now is each other and some friends. Not the perfection of the Capitol.” He lays an arm around her and gives her a light kiss.

“And you’re sure Katniss and Peeta don’t find out who will come and where the ceremony will happen? What if they see something tomorrow?” Effie’s still worrying.

A loud bang at the front door wakes Peeta and Katniss from a dreamless sleep.

“Wake up! It’s time to start.” They hear Finnick shout and Katniss looks irritated at Peeta.

“Start for what? Do you know?”

Peeta shakes his head and stands up to go downstairs and let his yelling friend in before he wakes the whole neighborhood.

“What the hell…” Peeta starts and then stares at Finnick standing in front of him with a big smile, a huge picnic basket beside him and a car key dangling from his finger.

Katniss arrives at the door and takes Peeta’s hand.

“Finnick, what are you up to?”

“After this is your last day before the great event you two need a diversion. We got this car only for today so come on get dressed and pack your bathing clothes we want to show you a very special place.” Finnick explains.

Peeta looks at Katniss “I don’t have any dates today and it sounds interesting.”

A smile creeps on her face. “That’s exactly what I think. I go and pack some things. Give us 10 minutes Finnick.”

When the car drives away nobody sees the two people hidden behind the curtain. Effie and Haymitch. “Now we can start.” Effie smiles about her plan working.

An hour later the cabriolet with Finnick, Annie and Ryan sitting between Katniss and Peeta loud giggling about the wind playing with his hair arrives at a dune.

“There we are. Behind this dune is the most fabulous beach you’ve ever seen.” Annie says getting out of the car.

Carrying the basket, two sunshades, two blankets, their own bags and a lot toys for Ryan they start to climb the dune.

At the top Katniss stops so abruptly that Peeta bumps into her back.

Totally stunned the couple stares down to the beach. It is a little bay at both sides sheltered with big rocks, clear white sand and the water has an unbelievable colour – a bright turquoise.

The day passes with eating, playing with Ryan, swimming, stand up paddling, relaxing under the sunshades, talking and joking around.