The question was unthinkable. Automatic. And above all: so, so innocent. "More than anything," he said. "She's my favorite person in the whole world, well, except for you, Mom." Laito had never really felt close to her, so using such personal nicknames tasted somewhat artificial on his tongue, but they did a significant job in the way of making her seem less imposing.

There was a laugh in her smile, a poison apple sheen to her candy green eyes. "Except for me, huh?..." And the smile ended there at her lips and unfurled in her words. She was a cat, poised to get to the cream: "So you really want to know how to make her like you?"

"Yes," this he was sure about.

She looked at him carefully now. "And you'll listen and do everything I say?" That was important.

"Yes..."
What was this feeling, so similar yet different from the one he felt before?
Apprehension or anticipation?

She thought about it for a second. Contemplating animatedly as if she hadn't already made up her mind the moment she heard Little Bitch's name. "Okay...I've decided I will help make her love you," she stood from her seat, towering over his nine year old height, and took a step closer. "But you have to keep these two rules in mind. One: always listen to what mommy says," step. "Two: never disobey mommy," step. Step. "Because if you do break these rules, then I can't guarantee how successful you'll be with her. You understand?" Step. Step. Step.

She was right in front of him now, as intimidating as possible with him standing in the shadow of her superior height.

"Yes!" He would finally get the answer he wanted. And all he had to do was say yes. It was so much simpler than he thought. Why had he never come to her before? "Thank you, Mom."

"You're welcome," there was something very disarming about that fanged smile rimmed with too perfect red lips. "Now, let's begin. See, it's all about charm; girls like charming men. But more than that, it's about stimulation; you're only as appealing and interesting as you can perform. That's why an exercise is called stimulation," a hand with insidious claws wrapped around his small wrist, beckoning him forward. "Here, come in, I'll teach you all about it, and through it, you'll learn all about love~"

The door shut upon the room and the rest of his childhood.

.

.

.

End
____________________

FLASHBACK

Seconds before #7 "To Be a Lady"...

.

.

.

Lightning crackled and the scene flashed upon an angry demoness, beautiful like sin and just as lethal. Before her stood a boy, young, not yet a teen, small under the towering height of the menacing woman yet not cowering. He snarled back at her with fangs of his own.

"If you don't start taking your work seriously," the purple-haired woman hissed: "then I'll kill her."

The image of an equally purple, but smaller, more innocent smiling female appeared in his mind's eye. A little girl nothing like purple demon in front of him, one whose nnocence needed to be protected. "Don't you dare!"

The clawed fingernails of a hand viciously cut through soft skin and Cordelia slapped Ayato.

A harsh, sharp, loud sound struck the air like lightning, charged and powerful, waking a formerly sleeping Chouko and bringing her attention to the disturbance outside of her bedroom door.