Chapter Six

The first time I got to go outside, it was for therapy. My therapist was a young, petite woman who didn't look much older than myself, but was sweet and softspoken in that kind of way that made you feel bumbling and awkward in comparison. She wheeled me onto the enclosed balcony, and asked if I wanted sun or shade. I immediately answered that I wanted sun- something I hadn't felt in a week and was desperate to feel the warmth of. She pulled a lawn chair up to meet me, and pulled out one of the tiny notebooks that I'd come to associate with a wave of neverending questions that I'd never have the right answers for. 

"I spoke to your therapist from home," she said, "She's very worried about you."

I felt a twinge of guilt thinking of Dr. Karly, the therapist I'd had since the beginning of Freshman year when my mother first realized something was going on. She was the best therapist I could have asked for-  so much so that when I first met her, I was surprised. In my mind, when I was told I’d be seeing “help”, I’d imagined a shrewd, disapproving woman who’d peer at me over outdated glasses and have frown lines instead of smile ones. What I did not imagine was the woman that opened the door that drizzly October afternoon, one who was the classic, old-movie kind of pretty that never went out of style and breezily greeted me and my pretending-to-not-look-stressed parents. It was an odd time for them, one where I, in their mind, was dancing on the edge of a cliff that one wrong gust of wind would send me tumbling over. 

I remember going over what I thought a therapist was supposed to be like in my head and comparing it to the woman who sat in the chair before me. She wasn’t aging, she wasn’t going over a list of rules or symptoms in a monotone voice, and she definitely wasn’t asking me ‘how that made me feel”. Instead, she managed to be warm without being overly-cheery like cough medicine that’s so sweet it emphasizes how bitter it is. I remember leaving the office that day feeling fuzzy and taken aback. I thought I knew what I was going into. 

It was, as it turns out, nothing I was prepared for. Up until now, I’d been used to the question “How are you?” being only a transition into me asking how they were, or simply a formality. So it was foreign and uncomfortable to be placed in a quiet room for nearly an hour being asked different variations of the question. I didn’t like it, it was embarrassing. The persistent undertone of discontent in my life seemed normal and, in that, almost comforting. At least, it did in the comfort of my own life, where the norm was what I found safest. But here, in this controlled and studious environment, it just felt humiliating. I felt like a space alien being asked why I did things differently from everyone else, when it was all I knew. And I was terrified of being mistaken for the girls I sometimes saw at school, the ones with cryptic quotes etched into their notebooks that romanticized sadness. 

I never said I liked being always uncomfortable, but when you’re uncomfortable for a very long time, it becomes bearable, and sometimes you just don’t feel a need to step outside of it. I was embarrassed because clearly I was doing something wrong, if I was being planted on this comfy office to be asked questioned about why I didn’t just open up and talk instead of just taking the “buck up and deal with it” route. It’s very hard to explain that, to me, this is the only option. I don’t like crying. Something about crying in front of my parents makes me feel stupid and whiny. But for some reason, only my parents. Crying at a sad movie in front of my friends? No big. Tearing up at a movie in front of my mom? Never. It’s humiliating for some reason I can’t quite put into words, but it’s always been this way. Something about it just feels wrong and overly-sappy.