Chapter 27: Blood and Drugs

Bumalik ang lahat sa dati sa mga sumunod na araw. I was back to my old routine with Elyse. Gigising ako ng maaga para magluto ng aming almusal. Whenever Elyse is around we never run out of food. The cup board and refrigerator is always filled.

Matapos kong magluto ay gigisingin ko siya. Elyse is a deep sleeper at pahirapan ang paggising sa kanya tuwing umaga. I would knock, open the window for fresh air to enter, remove her blanket, hit her with a soft pillow, before she decides to wake up.

Matapos magising ay sabay kaming kakain at maghahanda sa pagpasok. Elyse often takes a lot of time preparing, from singing in the shower, dancing around while dressing, to chatting while putting make up on. I don't have that much energy during the morning. I'm not a morning person, so I wonder how can she do it.

Sabay kaming papasok sa university. Almost everyone is used to it by now. Elyse McDermott is back. The campus sweet heart. The princess of smiles. I would walk beside her as people greet her, including her old friends, Justin, Clomil, and Daniela.

I was still sorry for all the words I've said to them last semester. But Elyse is here now, and she's way better friend than I am. At least we could all agree to that.

Classes are also back to normal with a more competitive sylabus. There were a lot of group projects and activities.

After class I'd go straight to my part time jobs in the library and coffee shop. I was so thankful that the Jamiesons still accepted me after months of being away.

After class, Elyse would meet with Landon. She would be back late in the evening, sometimes sneaking in for me not to hear her. But I could hear her. I could hear everything from the silent purr of Landon's car, to the sound of his kiss on her lips, to Elyse drunk giggles and swaying steps at the staircase.

And I would lay in bed, staring at the ceiling, aware of every emotion I was feeling. From my pained heartbeat, to the trembling of my hands. And I would wish a hundred times to erase the memories of Landon in my head.

I would do anything to avoid them. In school, in the apartment, or even in my working place. I'm glad I have part time work. May rason ako upang iwasan si Elyse.

Maagang natapos ang aking klase noong hapon na yon. Nagpaalam ako kay Elyse na bibisitahin si Mama. Gusto niyang sumama pero may susunod pa siyang klase. We only have two classes in common.

Dumating ako sa Saint Judes. I was there because they called me to review the changes they have made for my mother's treatment. Unti unti na siyang gumagaling kaya naman maging ang kanyang gamutan ay nagbabago na din.

Binisita ko si Mama sa kanyang kwaro bago pumunta sa opisina. Nakaupo siya sa silya sa tapat ng nakabukas na bintana at nagbabasa. Napangiti ako sa aking nakita. I never saw her this peaceful before.

"Mama."

Lumingon siya nang marinig ako. Agad siyang ngumiti at tumayo. Sinubukan niyang maglakad nang walang tulong ng wheelchair. The years of having a weak body due to overdozed of drug left her legs paralyzed. Ngunit kahit nahihirapan siya ay nilapitan niya ako at niyakap.

"Denise..."

"Kamusta na ang pakiramdam mo, Mama?" Tanong ko.

Hindi siya sumagot. Sa halip tinitigan niya lang ako. Hinaplos niya ang aking mukha na tila ngayon lang ulit ako nakita ng lubusan. "Denise..."

"Ako nga ito, Mama."

"Ang laki mo na. Mas matangkad ka na sa akin. Napakaganda mo, anak," malumanay niyang sinabi.