Chapter 20: Crashing Waves

I feel naked. This is bad. A horrible idea. How is this even allowed? And why are these garments so expensive when it can only cover a percent of your body?

"Damn, Denise. I didn't know you have it in there."

It was a sexiest joke. And Yllona was fairly entertained at how uncomfortable I am.

"Shut up, Yllona."

I never felt this exposed in my entire life, as if people would actually see through me.

Pinigilan ni Yllona ang ngiti. "But seriously, Denise. It was not bad. You have curves. The color suits you."

"Was that supposed to make me feel good?" I asked sarcastically.

Tumango si Yllona. Kahit pa kung tutuusin mas exposed ang suot niya kesa sa akin. She's wearing aquamarine bathing suit. Inabot ko ang puti kong shirt.

"Please, let me have this one if you want me to survive in there."

Yllona pondered. "Deal."

--

Banana boats. Parasailing. Jet skis. Ito ang bumati sa amin pagpunta namin sa beach. Nandoon na ang mga kasama namin at nag eenjoy. Some were doing water activities. Most of the women are sun bathing with a glasses of fruit juice in their hands. This kind of life actually exist, huh? Being with these people just cemented a truth. I don't belong here.

From the corners of my eyes I saw Landon. It's hard not to notice him with her woman wearing a bright red bikini. Landon was sitting on a lawn chair, wearing nothing but trunks. His woman was sitting on his lap facing him and complaining something. Probably her uncured blindness for a proper sitting spot.

Nagtama muli ang aming mga mata. May sinasabi ang babae sa kanya pero hindi ito pinapakinggan ni Landon. Nakatitig siya sa akin. There is something in the expression in his eyes, something foreign to me. He's distant and contemplating.

Lumayo ako sa grupo at umupo sa ilalim ng isang palm tree. Yllona joined the group next to the banana boat. Mula noong nangyari ang insidente sa gym hindi ko na nakausap pa si Landon. I expected him to annoy the hell out of me by pointing out how he saved me from crushing my ribs. But he didn't. And his silence is something that often mess me up. If I could only talk to him.

Nang magsawa ang aking mga kasama, bumalik ang ilan sa hotel. Nanatili ako sa beach malayo sa kanila. Nang magdadapit hapon na naglakad lakad ako sa dalampasigan. When I was young, and when my family was not ruined yet, every vacation we'd head to the beach. We'd rent a small cottage. My Dad would cook and grill sea foods. And we'll spend the whole day on the beach with my Mom, creating sand castles and picking up shells, and other cliché stuff that for me was the only good memories I have. Maybe clichés aren't that bad. It's predictable. It's safe. No tears, no anxiety, or unexpected turn of events that could shake your system up and crush you down. Like the way the waves crash the sand castle and leave. Like the way my father crushed us and left.

"Hey, human girl."

Lumingon ako sa kasunod kong naglalakad sa dalampasigan.

"Hindi ka pa ba susunod sa loob?"

Tuluyan ng lumubog ang araw.

"No."

Nagpatuloy ako sa paglalakad.

"It's dangerous to be alone here,"

"Says a blood sucking guy."

"Touché."