To Sacrifice A Promise For A Better Condition

Chapter 15

To Sacrifice A Promise For A Better Condition

I heard some loud, shuffling sounds from my dad's office, so I knocked and went inside. I found him reading some documents with a calm face. Wow, a really busy man.

And a really busy room.

Papers and stationery were scattered in every possible direction, and his chair was lying on the floor. He was pacing back and forth with his feet crashing through the papers, thus causing the shuffling I heard through the door.

"Dad?" I called, snapping him out of his trance. He stopped pacing back and forth, fixed his glasses and looked at me. "Yes, Louis?"

"Want me to help you fix this... um... ocean of papers?"

"No, no, you continue with your daily iPad duties. Don't mind me." He resumed pacing back and forth, ignoring me. I didn't leave the room, though.

He probably noticed the fact that I was still standing there in his doorway. "Louis. If I tell you something about Alisa's departure, how would you react?"

"Departure? What are you talking about?"

He sighed, waded through the sea of papers and showed me the documents he was holding. I ran my eyes through the words, reading them carefully. "We offer better rooms and quicker treatment," I read. "If you wish to send some of your terminally ill patients for faster recovery, please notify us through our website or via telephone call. Plane fee will be paid by our insurance partners."

He pushed his glasses upwards again. "You see, I'm planning to send five of my patients to this facility so their recovery time would be quicker. Those five are the ones that are near their freedom. So near to the fact that they will survive and be free of their illness. And those five include Alisa."

I was a little happy that Alisa was about to be free, but there was some things that bothered me. "I thought terminal diseases are uncurable."

"Those in their last stages are uncurable. The five I mentioned to you are still in their early stages and have a chance of survival."

"Plane fee? Is that hospital far? Will I still be able to visit her?" I asked nervously. My questions were fired out of my thoughts like three consecutive bullets.

My father gave a long, gloomy sigh. "That's the point, Louis. This hospital is located in Tokyo, Japan, and that's basically on the other side of the world. I can afford to get on you on a flight to Japan, but you can't stay for long. You barely even know how to speak their language. The hospital I'm sending my patients to is English-friendly, yes, but they still prefer speaking their dialect. I suggest that you spend as much time as you can with her, because this flight would be in... uh..." He started counting his fingers. "In one week or less."

I was dumbfounded. "But why Japan?"

"Japan is one of the world's modernized countries, Louis. They have some of the best technologies there. One of the benefits of technology is medicine. It's pretty much practical to send these five there if I want them to be cured."

One last question rose into my throat. "Does she know?"

He patted me on the shoulder. "Not yet. I want you to be the one to tell her."

They say that one must not wait until it's too late to tell someone how much you love and care for them because when they're gone, no matter how loud you shout or cry, they won't be able to hear you and your feelings anymore.

It's January 2, a day after the beginning of a new year. I was looking forward to spend this one with Alisa full-time, but now I realized that's just a fleeting wish. Right now I'm thinking of ways to break the news to her without saddening her or anything. I want her to feel happy about it because she'll be able to see new places and new people. I want her to feel okay, but I seriously don't know how.

"Alisa?" I called, knocking twice on her door.

"Come in," she replied. I went through the door and sat on the chair. "Louis? Is something bothering you?"

"Say, Alisa, what would you feel if you were sent to a place far away from here just so you can be cured of your illness?"

She stopped sketching and looked at me. "I would feel happy... and lonely, I guess."

The exact reaction I want from her. "Why?"

"I'll feel happy because I'll be a normal, healthy person when I return. This cancer won't be in my body anymore, and I'll be free to eat and do whatever I want. However, I'll feel lonely, too. I won't be able to see you anymore."

I took a deep breath, preparing myself to tell her the news. "Um... that's the exact thing that will happen to you in a week or less. You'll be sent to Japan so they'll be able to treat you."

Her reaction was a mix of shock and confusion. "W-what? Japan? That's... far."

I sighed and gave her a comforting look. "What would you like to do until then?"

The confusion drained from her face as she contemplated on my question. "Eat a whole lot of crepes, then go around town. That wouldn't be a problem to you because it's still your vacation from school, right?" she asked with a tentative smile. She was obviously saddened, and I didn't want that. "Life's too short to be sad, Alisa," I reminded her, returning her smile with a grin. This brightened her face further, and I bet she's okay now. "I know." She then poked my cheek, saying, "Look who's speaking positive things."

I brushed her hand away. "That's one thing I have to do because you-"

"Which reminds me," she cut off loudly. "You fell asleep yesterday. You have to do one thing for me."

My face tensed up at her sudden reminder. I sighed again, deciding to give in to her wishes. I have nothing to lose, anyway. "What do you want me to do, then?"

"Accompany me on my flight to Japan. That way, I'll be able to say goodbye to you at the last minute, and not at the airport. I want to be with you when I set foot in Asia."

This was something that had a weird impact on me. Sure, Dad would approve of that, but I had a feeling that I can't watch her go. I realized that I'm not even brave enough to see her off at the airport, so how can I tolerate watching her walk away from me on a place I barely know?

But it was her wish, and I wanted to make it happen. "Fine. I'll even follow you into your new room before I board a homebound plane."

She clapped her hands delightedly. "Yay!" she cheered. "You know, Louis, in my mind, I was thinking that we had a promise to each other."

The way she said it made it sound like a vow. "P-promise?"

"A promise that we'll never be apart. I know it's a little bizarre of me, but it's because I always see you visiting me everyday, even during the times that I had a pneumonia. You even signed up as an assistant that brings me food so you could see me. On the other hand, I am always wishing that I'll be able to survive this illness, and if not, I want to stay for a long while. I've lived for almost two decades without any severe complications, and I want to continue it so I'll be a normal, living person. Actions speak louder than words, and I've noticed that we formed a promise, even though it remains unspoken."

"A promise, huh," I commented, realizing the value of her rhetorical words. She never fails to impress my mind whenever she talks eloquently. "Seems like we have to sacrifice that if we want you to be in a better condition."

She nodded. "Mhm. Seems like it."