Chapter 10: Good-Luck Charm

"Are four-leaf clovers the only thing that's more common here?" Corrie's mom asked as they all started walking again.

"I think so," said Corrie. "I was just thinking about that earlier, as a matter of fact. I wonder if there will be weird flowers in the spring." She kept one eye on the edge of the path as she walked. It made her faintly anxious to be without the one thing that she knew could allow her to see through faerie glamour, especially since Dawn wasn't there. It probably wasn't important to look for faeries today, but she wanted a new one nonetheless.

Before long she'd spotted one, and she crouched down to pick it up. "See?" she said, holding it up for her mom and grandma and at the same time looking around. But all she could see right now was the group she was walking with. There was nothing unusual about any of them, from Edie's parents behind her to Leila leading the way. It would have been funny, she thought, if any of their family members had turned out to be a faerie. She didn't know what she would have done about it, though.

Her mom took the clover gently and looked at it. "That's really interesting. I've never seen a four-leaf clover before, really, except the laminated ones they sell in bookmarks and stuff."

"I could find you another one to take home," Corrie offered. "Or you could probably find one yourself."

"I think I will look for one," her mom said, handing it back. "I could use a good-luck charm."

"Do you want to look at it, Grandma?" Corrie asked.

Her grandma shook her head. "I saw it. And I've got all the luck I need right here."

Corrie grinned, stuck the clover back in her pocket, and continued walking back toward Gilkey.

The families followed them up to the fifth floor, though by the fourth, Corrie's grandma was going slowly. Corrie stayed back to walk with her, but she refused any assistance. "I'll make it. This fine, ugly, railing will help me." She patted the railing. Corrie giggled. Her grandma continued, "I just forget I'm old sometimes. Why isn't there an elevator in this building?"

"Well, it's really old," said Corrie, patiently matching her steps to her grandma's slow ones. "Maybe it was built before elevators were common."

Her grandma sighed. "I'm glad I wasn't built until after elevators were common." Corrie just laughed.

The hallway was crowded and noisy. Apparently a lot of people's families were up here. Corrie was delighted to spot Annie, with a woman who must have been her mother, coming out of her room. "Annie!" she called. Annie turned, grinned, and waved at her.

They made their way through the hallway until they had reached each other. "This is my mom," Annie introduced. "Mom, this is my friend Corrie."

"Nice to meet you," said Annie's mom.

"This is my grandma, and Grandma, this is my friend Annie, who I just mentioned."

"You were talking about me?" Annie smiled, but didn't seem sure whether she wanted to be pleased or embarrassed.

Corrie nodded. "We were just wondering—isn't there an orchestra performance tonight?"

"Oh, yeah, there is!" Annie grinned with real enthusiasm now. "It's at seven, in the Kelleher Auditorium—that's the big one in the administration building."

"I think we'll be there, then," said Corrie, turning to her grandma, who agreed with a nod and a smile.

"We were just going to get lunch," Annie said. "See you later, Corrie."

"See you." Corrie continued making her way through the hall, her grandmother just behind her. Thankfully, when they got inside her room, though Edie, her family, Leila, and Corrie's mom were all there, it was much less noisy. Corrie's grandma immediately sat down on Corrie's bed with a sigh.

Corrie related the information about the concert to the rest of the group, and they agreed that they should go. "But what should we do until then?" her mom asked.

"I still haven't given you a campus tour, but I think you should rest a little. At least Grandma should!"

"I know just how she feels," said Edie's grandmother.

"I had better get going," said Leila. "It was lovely to meet you all."

"Oh, you too, Leila," said Edie's grandmother. The others echoed the sentiment.

Leila gave Edie a quick kiss on the cheek. Corrie watched her go, fingering her clover.