9

It was 11:56 am. The appointment was in 4 minutes and he still hadn't shown up, getting slightly impatient with Jamie being late. Today would be the day, Jamie and I would find out if it was a girl or boy, something important like all the times, but Jamie wasn't turning up, and it was making me angry and a little upset for him to do this. No text, no phone call, nothing.

"Hey Lexi" I shot my head up, seeing Linda rushing in. Now I was confused.

"Linda...what are you doing here?" I asked her, frowning.

"Well Jamie told me that he got stuck in traffic due to a riot down the road, he got in contact with me to ask me to go to the ultrasound with you, so you wouldn't feel nervous, or alone"

"Well, I'm more pissed and upset he couldn't be here. But what can I expect from a cop?" I asked sighing to myself, tapping my feet on the ground.

"If you keep tapping your feet on the ground you will make me want to be in sync with you" Linda spoke quietly in the waiting room; the floor a black colour, with light blue walls, light wooden counters as a desk. Some pictures on the wall of babies associated with all different things, their tiny fingers and feet, breast feeding, co sleeping, their first smiles, it made Lexi smile.

"Sorry, just nervous" I told her, stopping the tapping.

"Why nervous?" she asked me.

"We are finding if the baby is a girl or boy, I don't know, just makes me more nervous, I am always nervous, especially if they find something wrong" I mumbled the last bit, making sure her words didn't upset or disturb the other expectant mothers.

"If your baby has something wrong, they will fix the problem, or try to and I'm sure Jamie and yourself will raise the baby the way the baby is"

"I know" I told her, grabbing a leaflet off the table which situated in the middle of the room, flicking through the few pages.

"Are you planning to breastfeed?" Linda asked. I looked at the leaflet as she asked.

"Yes, and express into a bottle if you ever wanted to feed, but if things don't go as planned, formula it is, as much as I don't want to use formula"

"Well you know what they say" Linda smiled "breast is best" Linda was a nurse, of course.

"Well from a man's perspective breast is the best" she joked "that's a joke...and I make bad jokes when I am nervous, just ignore me" I said shaking my head. That was embarrassing.

"Don't worry I know people say silly things when they are nervous" Linda pointed out, as my nervous hands, put the leaflet down.

The door of an ultrasound room opened, revealing an African American female ultrasound technician, with overalls that shouted doctor.

"Alessia Cabello?" she called out with a smile.

Ii stood up and looked at Linda smiling softly "you wanna come in?" I asked the blonde nurse, and friend.

"Are you sure?" Linda asked standing up.

"Out of all the people, you and Jamie are...putting up with me, making an effort to smile at me. You seemed pretty excited to know I was pregnant compared to the rest. Jamie isn't here, and you're here to keep me company, so right now, you're the only person I have right now" I informed her smiling "Please" I asked kindly.

Linda nodded, taking my hand in thanks before walking towards the nurse standing in the door way of the room.

"Hello Lexi, nice to see you again...and no Jamie?" she asked