27- "Even a cupid has to work 24/7."

Zacznij od początku

That change knocked my door, one weekend through a phone call from an old friend. The very next moment, I was arranging my apartment like a maniac. The caller just informed me of their arrival in a few hours. Surprise was an understatement, I was bursting with excitement. I was like a poor, little plant who had received the first rays of sunshine after a long time.

As informed, two familiar figures arrived at my doorstep at twelve in the afternoon. The taller one was in his usual solder cut hair, wearing a blue sleeveless shirt and cargo jeans, while the girl with a long wavy hair, was wearing tunic top and black jeans. Both siblings raised their sunglasses from their eyes and smiled, brightly at me.

“Welcome to my cleanest, humble abode, Pragya and Dhruv.” I welcomed, directing my hand towards the living room.

“Quit the adjectives, dumbass.” Pragya answered, entering inside and flicked her fingers. “Quick, turn on the AC and give me a glass of Frooti. I'm melting in this scorching heat.”

“I'll prefer Coco- cola.” Dhruv added, following after her, then stole a glance at me, “Can you order something for us as well? I'm in the mood for some paneer tikka.”

I muttered some inadequate expletives, wondering if it was really alright for these cartoons to visit me. The question was already answered in my mind before I asked. I let them off the hook this time.
.

By the time, the three of us chatted and ate food, it was mid afternoon. I suggested for a short visit to India Gate in the evening, but they refused, as they were tired after a long journey. In the midst of our chatting session, Pragya excused herself to the washroom. Suddenly Dhruv came over my side and gripped my neck with his arm, suffocating me. “Wha— Ow, you trying to kill me? You just wait.”

“No, buddy. Not until we're sixty. That's what we promised in our school days, remember?” He finally loosened his grip from me, grinning. “Live my boy. This is the time to live. Not to wallow within these four walls for eternity. Cheer up a little.”

I sighed at that. I was instantly reminded of the late night phone conversations we had sometimes. I would allow myself to share my troubles with him while he did the same. We shared a look of understanding before breaking off with a smile. I appreciated his concern and expressed my gratitude for coming over. He patted on my back, hard. “A surprise package is on its way to your door. It's time for you to be happy.”

“Ow, you son of a...” Then his words registered in my head as I frowned at him. “Surprise package? What are you talking about?”

“Brother dearest—” Pragya called him sweetly out of nowhere, startling both of us. She shook her head at Dhruv with her eyes widened. “Keep. Your. Mouth. Shut.”

I exchanged suspicious looks between the two of them, “Okay, something is going on. Something you two are not telling me.”

“As Dhruv said, it's a surprise package. And for things like that, you wait.” Both of them refused to add anything beyond that. I was gravely curious now but more than that, it was my poor heart escalating, as if it knew the answer. It was impossible. Right?

About half an hour later, my ears picked upon a ring of a doorbell. It sounded very familiar to the one attached to my apartment. It IS your doorbell, you dumbass!

“Vansh!” Pragya and Dhruv called together, bringing me chills. “Open the door!”

I swear my stomach just dropped off to the fucking ground. I was actually rubbing my palms together and bringing them near my mouth to blow air to my shaking palms. Even my heart was palpitating. If I had been an asthma patient, I would be sent to the nearest hospital by now. What was this strange feeling? Feeling that something was about to unfold.