11) Farewells & Agony

Start from the beginning

I smiled a little sadly, "sure"

Mrs Walsh gave me a look full of pity and Charles came closer to me.

"How are you, today?" He whispered.

"I am fine but maybe a doctor should check me," I whispered smiling.

"I will call Dr Philips, then," he said smiling mischievously.

I held his hand, "you are the only doctor I need"

His smile widened, "go easy on me or I will get used to this"

My smile widened.

"You won't be angry if I congratulated your sister, will you?" He asked.

I squeezed his hand and said still smiling, "I will be angry if you won't"

Charles almost held my face in his hands but stopped when he remembered that we weren't alone. He kissed my hand and went to Cecelia.

"What did I miss?" Meg asked coming close to me.

"I think that I finally found happiness," I said still looking at Charles who was smiling to Cecelia and Edward.

"Does your father have to leave?" Meg asked.

"You too have a bad feeling about it?" I asked.

"Do you have it too?" She said with worry flashing from his eyes.

"Since he told us, last night, yes. My heart aches and I don't know why"

"Me too," Granny said. I didn't know that she was listening, "let's just hope that nothing bad will happen"

My heart ached more.

After about ten minutes, they came down. It didn't work well. Father went away without saying goodbye.

"Papa!" Cecelia shouted angry that he left without saying goodbye.

"What is wrong?" Meg asked her.

I looked at her to find her looking at me. When she shook her head, I ran after him.

"Papa!"

He stopped and turned. I stared into his eyes and I could see the tears that want to come out. I hugged him.

"I am so sorry," I said.

He pulled away, "you know about this"

I shook my head, "I only knew, yesterday, that's why I left the ball"

He looked behind me and his features changed. She must be behind me.

"The past can't be changed," he said still looking at her, "I will need time to think about everything"

"Let her stay here and you leave," I said, "take it as a chance to think about everything.

He looked at me and cupped my face, "if I leave without her, I will never be able to forgive her. Maybe just maybe, if we left together, things could get better"

He kissed my cheek, said goodbye then went to the carriage.

"I am so sorry," she said, "I am so sorry for everything"

I shook my head, "you are apologizing to the wrong person"

She hugged me but I didn't hug her back, "I am so sorry"

She passed me crying.

"Mama!" I shouted after her.

She stopped and turned, "I know that your mind is busy with other things but I have to ask. Does this have anything to do with why you hate me?"