02. Party Crashers

Start from the beginning

I muddled my way through the choreography, and I felt myself starting to loosen up a bit. An hour into this party and I laughed more than I had in four years. Mostly at Ava's horrible impersonations of celebrities.

After dancing out our energy and sugar high, we all got ready for the movie. I sat on the couch with Vivian and Chelsea while Riley, Ava and The Twin's got comfortable on the floor.

Half an hour into the movie, our attention was ripped away from the dancing on screen by the doorbell. Someone was obnoxiously ringing it back-to-back.

"They're here," Vivian grinned, hopping up from the couch.

The Twins exchanged worried looks. "Who?" they asked, following Vivian to the door.

"Prepare yourself," Chelsea said to me. "You're about meet some of the idiots that make up Westbrook High's football team."

"No boys allowed," Kim and Jem shouted in unison.

The excited talk of male voice became closer, as did The Twin's yelling at them to leave.

"You guys have to go," Jem ordered.

They were in the living room now. The girls, along with three guys. Who were not wearing pajamas, I might add.

"This party is for girls only," Kim shouted as she smacked a red vine out of the hand of the boy wearing glasses and a Batman T-shirt.

"Where's the fun in that?" asked one of the other boys as he plopped down on the couch in between Chelsea and me, his muscled arm wrapping her shoulders. Chelsea scooted away, but the guy followed, uttering an apology for who knows what.

Vivian seemed to be the only one enjoying the uninvited guest. She grabbed her bag, rummaging through it before pulling out a bottle of vodka. "Now, let's make this a real party!" she exclaimed.

"Where are the cups?" asked a dark-haired boy. I noticed a rose tattoo on his inner right wrist as he took the bottle from her. He headed towards the kitchen and Kim followed him, still trying to talk him into leaving.

"Why did you invite them?" Jem snapped.

"Because I was bored," she shrugged.

Rose Tattoo came back with a stack of plastic cups. "Hey, let's go out by the pool."

Without hesitation, Vivian and the boys went towards the back of the house. The other girls looked at each other before shrugging and following them out as well. The living room was empty, aside from The Twins and me.

"Moms are going to kill us," they said before following everyone else to the back.

Left alone on the ruined sleepover, I weighed my options. I could leave—It was doubtful that anyone would notice—or I could stick to my plan and have fun. Another option would be to stay here in the living room and finish the movie. That was like an in-between option. Not exactly abandoning the plan, but not entirely committing to it either.

"You're not thinking of leaving, are you?" I looked up to find Jem. She walked over, grabbing a few cans of soda from the coffee table. I guessed they were giving up the battle with the boys. "I know the boys being here isn't what you signed up for, but stay. Please?"

Glancing back towards the front door, I lifted myself up from the couch. "Okay."

"Great," she said with a smile. "Could you grab a few more sodas?"

Nodding, I grabbed as many as I could carry and followed her out to the back. It was cold outside and I wished I had opted for one of my warmer pajama sets. The pool area was dimly lit with a blue light. There was a sitting area of wicker patio furniture where everyone was gathered. Jem and I set the sodas down on the table. They didn't stay there very long as everyone snatched them mixing them with the vodka.