Chapter 16

Chapter 16 - Kellin - Once a Whore, You’re Nothing More

“Why is Vic Fuentes still alive?”

This is the question that Jesse fires at me immediately after dragging me to the privacy of the boys’ bathroom. I fail to answer him, mostly because I’m still in shock and can’t really answer anything at the moment.

After a too-long pause, I say, “Well, why wouldn’t he be?” I’m not quite sure where playing dumb is going to get me, but it’s worth a shot.

Jesse folds his arms across his chest, clearly not in the mood for my shit. “Come on. Josh even mentioned running into you. Don’t pretend you didn’t at least wonder if something was gonna happen to your precious boyfriend.”

I bite my lip. I did a lot more than just wonder.

"Exactly," Jesse says when I don’t respond. "So tell me, Kellin: Why is Vic still alive?"

"I don’t know," I say. "Maybe God didn’t want him to die just yet."

He rolls his eyes. “Okay, let me change that: How is Vic still alive?”

There’s a question I can answer. “You hit the wrong person, that’s how. Vic was alone with me the whole time.”

Jesse’s eyes widened. “We what? No. That was definitely the right car. It had the same license plate and everything.”

I nod. “Oh, yeah, it was the right car. Just wasn’t the right driver. You hit Mike—who, by the way, got out without a scratch on him anyways. Even if it had been Vic, he’d still be alive.” After a pause, I add, “Okay, I lied. Mike got out with one scratch on him.”

Jesse just stares at me. “Are you fucking serious?”

"No, I am not fucking anyone named Serious. I am, however, very serious."

He scowls.

"What was your plan, anyways?" I continue. "Just hope you see Vic on the road at the right place at the right time? Hope you hit him at exactly the perfect angle?"

"Kind of, yeah," Jesse says. "Really, it wasn’t all that set in stone. We just knew that if we saw his car, we’d steal a random one that wasn’t ours and crash it into his. When we saw that car last night, it was sort of just luck. We didn’t even think to check whether or not it was really Vic driving. We just assumed it was." He shrugs. "I’m actually kind of glad he’s not dead yet, ‘cause then it would be pretty much over. And I like this. It’s fun. Y’know, the chase." He takes a step closer, smirking a little. "You understand. You know a lot about the chase, don’t you?"

My hand flies up to my hair. He’s right. His chase is a bit different from mine, but I still know a lot about it. I know how addicting the feeling of adrenaline can be.

"Well, it looks like it’s time for Plan B," Jesse says. "Whatever that is. We’ll figure something out."

He turns around and starts to walk away. “I thought you wanted out of that gang!” I call.

He stops and glances over his shoulder. “Yeah, but they’re a good group to hang out with when you want to kill somebody.”

"You know, killing him isn’t gonna win me back."

"Nothing’s gonna win you back."

Okay, good point.

With that, he leaves me standing alone in the bathroom, thinking about the fact that these guys seriously want to murder someone. Teenagers—they scare the living shit out of me. I’m ashamed to be one.