Chapter 6

Shimmerheart walked sadly back to camp. She glanced around to see if Orangedusk was out, but he was nowhere to be found. She sighed and walked to the nursery. She snapped out of her guilt when she noticed Cindertail's kits lying alone in their nest.

"What are you three doing here alone? Where is Cindertail?" Shimmerheart whispered to herself.

Shimmerheart cocked her head as Cindertail's voice reached her. She padded out of the nursery and toward the back of the den. She almost spoke as she saw Leopardpelt and Cindertail whispering loudly to each other. Shimmerheart stepped back and perked her ears so she could hear the quiet conversation.

"We're through Leopardpelt! I have sat on my paws, waiting for you to show any signs of compassion. You never help me with the kits, you never visit me, and you haven't even asked me what their names are!" Cindertail yowled softly.

Leopardpelt unsheathed his claws and stepped toward the angry she-cat. "Fine! I never wanted to be your mate or have kits with you in the first place!"

Cindertail collapsed to the floor in sorrow as Leopardpelt stormed off. Shimmerheart rushed toward her and sat beside her.

"I'm so sorry about that Cindertail, but I think you made the right call. Leopardpelt would've hurt your kit's chances of becoming strong warriors. If you need anything, just let me know," Shimmerheart whispered.

Cindertail nodded and silently returned to the nursery. Shimmerheart sighed in anger and sleepily trotted into the warrior's den. She curled up and closed her eyes for some much needed sleep.

I'm seeing Pinesong tomorrow. I really need to see him again.

* * * * *

Shimmerheart smiled as Pinesong walked through the undergrowth.

"Glad you could make it," he meowed.

Shimmerheart nodded and walked closer to the grey and black tom. She smiled and sat down. "So, we need to help you be more open with your clanmates. What do you think they don't like about you?" Shimmerheart asked.

Pinesong sat down in front of the tortoiseshell she-cat and stared blankly. "I'm pretty sure it's everything. My entire clan blames me for my father's death and they all think I'm a psychopath that is secret wants to kill everyone and then leave to become a rogue."

Shimmerheart stared at Pinesong, surprised. "Really? I think it's neat that you're so quiet and reserved. Every clan should have a warrior that listens more than speaks!"

"Well, not RiverClan. Like I said, no one trusts me and I would rather just leave the clans then stay in RiverClan and suffer a lonely life."

Shimmerheart stood up and walked to the lake's edge. She watched the waves softly crash onto the lakeshore and wrap around her paws. She breathed in, then out slowly. Pinesong cocked his head and walked toward her.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm calming myself. The lake calms me quickly. It helps me relax then face a tough issue," Shimmerheart responded.

Pinesong nodded and stepped beside her. He closed his eyes and breathed slowly. The wind ruffled his fur and he smiled. Looking up, Pinesong watched the stars of Silverpelt sparkle above him. A bright star in the middle shone the brightest, and he smiled ear to ear.

"That's Ospreyfeather. He's watching me from the hunting grounds of StarClan. Thank you Shimmerheart. I will remember to return to the lake to calm myself. As I closed my eyes, I felt my mind relax and my muscles calm."